Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird steering issue...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weird steering issue...

I'm back in AZ for my winter escape, and so I'm now riding the '07 RKC. I've been noticing a strange, and scary, steering issue. If it were a car, I'd say it has serious oversteer.
When I enter a right OR left turn, as at an intersection, I have to hold the opposite grip with some effort, to keep the front end from diving into the turn and jack-knifing the bike. In times past, I remember the bike wanting to self-straighten from any steering input.
Cruising in a straight path remains a hands-off, tracks like on a rail experience, as it always has.
Anyone ever experience this? Not sure if this is related, but when I back up the bike, I hear some of the [front] spokes ping like plucked harp strings. Profile rims.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:12 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Check the nut behind the wheel...Sorry, I had to say it.

Check out the rear axel. Make sure that the axel is torqued to spec, and the alignment is on. I recently had an issue with my bike that I was sure was a front wheel bearing. Turned out that the rear axel nut was not torqued properly.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:15 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

im guessing loose spokes,maybe even pulling out of the hub.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 646 Likes on 337 Posts

Did you check your tire pressure before you took it out?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:22 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Had this before on a buddy's bike. You turn the corner and swear the bike is just gonna drop out from under you....turned out to be bad cupping on the front tire.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

If you can hear spokes popping and pinging rolling the bike, you've got some problems with the wheel(s) that need to be fixed. Likely is the cause or a substantial contributory factor to handling problems.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:27 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

loose, broken or missing spokes?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The rake is different on your road king versus your dyna, so they will track differently when steering. There may not be a problem with the bike at all, it could just be a matter of getting used to the different handling. JMHO

Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the spokes.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weird steering issue solved...

Well, I got my "diving into turns" issue corrected. It was as simple as low tire pressure. The front had 13-psi, and the rear had 8-psi. Neither tire looked or felt low.
Since I posted the thread, I found a used Pit Bull on Craig's for $200, and picked up a nice Craftsman pancake compressor at a pawn shop for $45. Once I got the bike up on the lift, I could access the tire valvestems. The only pressure gauge I had here at my winter home, couldn't easily reach the stems to take a measurement until I got the bike up on the lift. The $$$ I saved not taking it to the HDealer likely paid for both tools and the several quick-disconnects, fittings, and other compressor adjuncts I bought. Thanks for all who contributed their ideas; Buelligan666, you nailed it!

Quick Reply: Weird steering issue...