Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Trailering Question (non-enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Greg T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Trailering Question (non-enclosed)

I want trailer two Roadkings from St Louis to FL (6 one way trips a year). I am looking at a non-enclosed 6'3"x12. If I pull the first bike up diagonally followed by the second diagonally, does it provide a better use of the space?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2015, 09:51 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Never in my life did I see bikes trailered diagonally.....unless you would put them head to foot and foot to head...i would worry about weight distribution....and strapping them down....whats the issue with side by side? I trailer 2 bikes all the time but i bought a Kendon... Great trailer and even better that it stands up out of the way.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,454 Likes on 21,400 Posts

Aluma MC210 double Motorcycle Cargo Utility bike Trailer 2016 Model w new ramp for example.
I would like to have the 110 model for one bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391344460944...25.m3641.l6368

Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

On 6'3" non enclosed you should be able to stagger side by side.

I have a 7x14 enclosed, and do the same.... and have way more than 2 feet left over behind.

I would think with no sides you could use the same footprint I use.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

You have a 12' trailer. A Road King is 8' long from fender tip to fender tip. You should be able to stagger them straight ahead with ease. Assume that there will be some "give" in the tie-down straps. If the bikes are 1" apart at some point while sitting on the trailer they'll bump each other when you're moving. The time I had to trailer 2 bikes (Electra Glides) I moved one of them back so its handgrips were about even with the middle of the fuel tank of the other bike. There was plenty of space between them for their entire length.

Also, one word: "Wheel chocks." OK..that's two words, but you get the idea. I bought a couple of the Harbor Freight jobbies. Inexpensive and they work fine. Bolt them to the trailer floor and you're good to go. They fit both my old 2005 EG and my new 2015 EG. Caveat - Ya gotta really yank to get a heavy bike out of the wheel chock. I put one on my table lift and at first thought I wasn't going to be able to get the dang bike out of it! I'd pull back and the bike would get about halfway out and then roll back into the chock. I would then emit numerous curse words. After a few tries I figured it out and it's not a problem now. My technique is to pull up and back real hard, and when it starts to roll back into the chock I apply the front brakes and hold it there. I regroup while holding the brake and do it again, releasing the brake at the moment I start to pull. I can inch it out that way. After 2 or 3 pulls it rolls right out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb...ock-61670.html

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 12-20-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a back rest, use your legs and butt to push out of a wheel chock. I never pull on my bars. Rock it back and forth and about the 3rd rock just push it backwards with your legs and ****. There is a little art to it, but it is easy to master the technique. I'm old, arthritic, bad knees, two herniated disks, and don't work out anymore so I'm getting weaker than "pond water" and I can do it with ease. Oh, and that's in my little enclosed trailer that I can't stand all the way up in as well.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If you put them on diagonal that mean when you accelerate and brake that then weight will be on the straps. If you have to make a hard stop you will pop the straps. In line the straps are just balancing the bikes actually and they are working pretty hard with all the bouncing and wiggling going on. Momentum, ever have that bike lean over while stopped and you have to stand it back up. Now get that momentum going at 55-75 mph those straps can't handle that.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 AM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can fit 2 baggers in my 6x12 enclosed straight.

Last edited by buggy; 12-26-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:13 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I am towing a single at least twice a year and slightly further than you. I did tons of research on the best trailer. Used to have a small enclosed.

As has already been stated you need the Aluma model that is built for hauling two heavy bikes. I am using the Aluma and it is the best open mcy trailer out there IMHO.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:20 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

A friend has an enclosed trailer and he puts his bikes (SG and RK) in diagonally. He also uses these http://www.moki-ezlock.com.

Quick Reply: Another Trailering Question (non-enclosed)