Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable Pressure Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Whodattom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variable Pressure Clutch

I currently have a SE spring on my 2010 Streetglide. Was thinking about adding a VPC to get better grip. Does the Variable Pressure make the hand lever pull any easier or will it actually get harder? Is the AIM any better/worse than the others? I believe from what I have read the Harley model is actually mfg'd by AIM.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The VPC does make the pull easier, some say that it is harder at high rpm's but I couldn't tell the difference. I used the AIM on a 2000flht and the Harley one on my 2013flhx, no difference between them.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

I just had one installed on my 2010 SG back in Sept. AIM has various models depending on how light or heavy you want the clutch pull to be, and that is also dependant on the weight of the clutch spring being used. I had one put on to hold my clutch from slipping on my 107" build and it is fantastic at doing its job. My clutch no longer slips and the torque is incredible now that all the power is transfered to the wheel. The pull is a tiny bit lighter than stock but that is because I used a much heavier spring. I could've gone with a 40 percent lighter pull but not with the spring I selected. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do it again. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the AIM installed on my 2014 Ultra and I also had one on my 2013 FLHX, I put the 340lb spring on and it is still a lot easier pull than stock.

Mike

Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Just went through this myself. Read my thread and it may give you some insight.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...5-aim-vpc.html

Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If the clutch spring you currently have is working fine then it should be possible to install a lighter spring with an AIM. It applies increasing pressure, as engine speed increases, hence at low road speeds a lighter spring will give you a lighter pull, the AIM bob-weights doing the rest. Their website gives details.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Just installed my VP95LT yesterday. Do it! The heavier clutch spring alone was disastrous for me, though mine was a Barnett and not the SE. The Barnett exerted 450 psi, and components around the clutch just aren't made to withstand that kind of pressure/pull.

Good luck sorting it out.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Just installed my VP95LT yesterday. Do it! The heavier clutch spring alone was disastrous for me, though mine was a Barnett and not the SE. The Barnett exerted 450 psi, and components around the clutch just aren't made to withstand that kind of pressure/pull. Good luck sorting it out.
I'll be installing mine this wknd. Did you notice any difference in its holding power? I know the clutch pull itself has got to be better.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:00 PM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Me too.
should get mine (vpc 84) this weekend so will let you all know how it goes.

Rowle -uk

Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I'll be installing mine this wknd. Did you notice any difference in its holding power? I know the clutch pull itself has got to be better.
Bates, I haven't been able to really take it out and twist it so that I have a good feel. What little I did ride it (around the neighborhood) wasn't enough to give me the ability to answer your question fully. It did however feel like it was going to be all that I was hoping it would. I didn't notice any slipping when gunning it from 1st to 2nd, and once I hit third gear the centrifugal force has the weights fully engaged against the clutch plates. But again, I was in the neighborhood, so I wasn't going to really hammer it.

I used the VP95LT in tandem with the stock spring, and it has given my a clutch pull that seems to be slightly lighter than what the stock set up gave me. It's close though. It's SO much more pleasant on my left forearm, and you know how much easier it is on the motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Variable Pressure Clutch