Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Failing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:13 PM
DBLX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Compensator Failing

What component(s) fail when the compensator starts to fail?
Should I just buy the compensator kit or the part thats going bad?

TIA,
MJ

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 646 Posts

In my experience they just make noise. Parts are pretty stout so not much chance of them falling apart. Im on my 2nd Screaming Eagle comp.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DBLX
What component(s) fail when the compensator starts to fail?
Should I just buy the compensator kit or the part thats going bad?

TIA,
MJ
You buy the entire kit. Use a discounted online dealer and it should run around $240.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:18 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Or check out baker.they have one that is better than the se one

Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Baker has had spring pack problems in the past. There is a cost difference too.
If you go with the SE I highly recommend putting a Compensaver at the same time.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB
If you go with the SE I highly recommend putting a Compensaver at the same time.

Doesn't the new SE comp have an oil tray that you glue in basically doing the same thing as the Compensaver?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB
I have read that too. I have the Baker compensator and I think my spring pack is one with a problem. It doesn't feel at all the same as when I installed it.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Doesn't the new SE comp have an oil tray that you glue in basically doing the same thing as the Compensaver?
Yes it does. That glue in tray fastens to the inside of the primary. My '13 FLTRU had the original comp replaced in Aug of '14 @ 11K miles under warranty. There was a "running change" in there where some bikes had the tray cast into the inner side of the primary cover, yet HD "used up" the inventory they had of the older comps. There is a lot of info on this issue on Harley Tech Talk; part numbers, spring height stack heights, shimming and the like.
The Compensaver drips lubricant in on the ramps / spokes contact points of the comp. The SE does not. You do have to grind off the webs on the inside of the primary cover for clearance for the Compensaver tray. I used a belt sander. If no cast in tray I.d be very careful how big of an area I groud open. The SE tray glues and has a clip. I have seen where some guys that I respect have used JB Weld to fasten the tray rather than the HD glue. The thing I like about the Compensaver is there is a BIG rare earth magnet at the beginning of the feed spout that will and I have seen pick up the metal fuzz in the primary.
I have zero experience with the Baker product. A well respected company & they were very open about their spring issue and making things right. That there may be some machining of components for proper alignment meant that my bagger would need to be on my lift for more than an hour or two.
Another issue is that I have a Primo Rivera GameChanger 20 tooth (vs 22 tooth stock) sprocket that I will be installing this winter.
Just my experience.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 PM
DBLX
Cruiser

Thanks for the info so far. So what causes the noise? Is it that the spring is getting weak? I need to get a good understanding of how it operates.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLX
Thanks for the info so far. So what causes the noise? Is it that the spring is getting weak? I need to get a good understanding of how it operates.
The drive finger get rough. The material is not up to what it use to be and people drive the bikes harder. The compensator is simple to smooth the unevenness of the V Twin. Your bike has the rear drive cushion to prevent damage. Any compensator will go to full lock with hard throttle. It will also bang doing it. Rarely do they actually break. The bellville springs (they look like cup washers) rarely ever get week or break since the only can move to being flat. Not like stretching a coil spring too far can do.

Quick Reply: Compensator Failing