Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Improving the front suspension

There are lots of threads about rear shocks. I think I know what I want back there but I'd like some feedback about how to improve the front. The front suspension is important for handling and handling is important to me.

I'm thinking of 3 options. If there's others I should be considering let me know.
All these options entail replacing all the internals of the stock forks. There are also options that entail replacing the entire forks. That doesn't interest me. Too expensive and I'm not even sure I can get my front fender back on.

Ohlins has the most adjustability and a great reputation. I think that would cost almost $1000. Adjustability may not be all that great if the adjustment is hidden inside my faring (I have an Electra Glide).

Legend AXEO is made in the US and costs $750

Progressive Suspension is only $360?!? What gives there? Too good to be true? I've heard good things about Progressive Suspension. The preload is set by inserting clips in the springs instead of a threaded collar. Inexpensive is good if it performs.
Has anyone else tried Progressive Suspension Monotube Kit?

Last edited by Durango Dave; 02-11-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Progressive Suspension is $360
Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

In addition to improving the dampening, something needs to be done with the flimsy front forks. CCE makes an clamped upper triple tree which includes longer fork tubes to make it work which tightens up the front end. I'll likely go that route as well. The fork brace helped tighten things up a great deal. By the way, there is no bolt on fork brace. I had to order a fork brace for a 2000 to 2005 Wide Glide fork brace (for the 41 mm fork), I bought used take off fork sliders, took both to a local union machine shop and had them mill the fork slider clamps from the brace to fit the oblong tubes, ditch the cow bells and install gator boots on the forks.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 PM
mongomark
Road Master

In addition, I went with Racetech gold emulators and springs for a definite dampening improvement.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,669 Likes on 1,670 Posts

"In addition, I went with Racetech gold emulators and springs for a definite dampening improvement." Major improvement at a reasonable cost. Did the same on my 012' Ultra and it was well worth it..

Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark

In addition to improving the dampening, something needs to be done with the flimsy front forks. CCE makes an clamped upper triple tree
A agree a stiffer set of forks (or swingarm, or frame) would help with performance of the suspension. I hear of forks or shocks that offer compression dampening on one side and rebound dampening on the other and I'm thinking that would only make loose or vibrating forks or frame worse. The Ohlins fork cartridge system works that way. I don't know. http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage35.html
Harley hand adjustable shocks are like that too.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 02-11-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:35 PM
mongomark
Road Master

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
A agree a stiffer set of forks (or swingarm, or frame) would help with performance of the suspension. I hear of forks or shocks that offer compression dampening on one side and rebound dampening on the other and I'm thinking that would only make loose or vibrating forks or frame worse. The Ohlins fork cartridge system works that way. I don't know. http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage35.html
Harley hand adjustable shocks are like that too.
This system is based on the 49 mm fork with the clamped upper triple tree. That fork system is rigid enough to work in that fashion. I don't know of any system sold that operates that way on the 41mm fork with the through bolt (non clamped) upper tree. I've only put a couple of hundred miles on the bike since I installed the fork brace. I took it on a couple of known high speed sweeping on and off ramps at high speed with undulating bumps that are well known (by me) to create a pucker factor of 11.9 on the Richter scale and the stability and lack of bagger wobble I've experienced before was hugely reduced. I can now leave my biker wobble depends undergarments at home. Also keep in mind, the later model swing arms in the rear are more rigid and can handle the different dampening rates without flexing. I've got a far superior solution with the Ohlins in the rear which are a marvelous improvement in both comfort and handling. My wife with a bad back is probably one of the best salespersons on the attributes of the new rear suspension.

Last edited by mongomark; 02-11-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:13 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
There are lots of threads about rear shocks. I think I know what I want back there but I'd like some feedback about how to improve the front. The front suspension is important for handling and handling is important to me.

I'm thinking of 3 options. If there's others I should be considering let me know.
All these options entail replacing all the internals of the stock forks. There are also options that entail replacing the entire forks. That doesn't interest me. Too expensive and I'm not even sure I can get my front fender back on.

Ohlins has the most adjustability and a great reputation. I think that would cost almost $1000. Adjustability may not be all that great if the adjustment is hidden inside my faring (I have an Electra Glide).

Legend AXEO is made in the US and costs $750

Progressive Suspension is only $360?!? What gives there? Too good to be true? I've heard good things about Progressive Suspension. The preload is set by inserting clips in the springs instead of a threaded collar. Inexpensive is good if it performs.
Has anyone else tried Progressive Suspension Monotube Kit?
I went with the Legends kit. I just got them in yesterday,got front tore down and cleaned up, decided to wait till tonite or Saturday to finish.I have read some good stuff about them.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I went with the monotubes and have no complaints. They are a huge improvement over stock and as you pointed out you cannot beat the price.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Monotubes here too, great improvement. You have to get the # of clips right, or it can be a problem. Before I installed I read a ton of posts. I'm 180 and 1 clip (despite the instructions which say 2) is perfect.

I'm always fascinated by the posts decrying "flimsy" front forks. I have a '13, so I guess that qualifies as having flimsy front forks. I dont know what yall are doing on your bikes, but I've never had a problem with the rigidity (or lack) of the front forks. I suppose if I had a chance to ride a '14+ bike I would have an "I was blind and now I can see" moment, but I'm perfectly happy with my setup. Maybe its more apparent with heavier riders?

I'm just an old guy chugging down the 2-lanes at 60mph, on what my wife refers to as a "loud couch", so what do I know?

The following users liked this post:
NAILIT RK (04-08-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I went with the Legend AXEO front suspension and have been very happy. Had Progressive monotubes on my last bike and prefer the Legend option. I also installed the Legend Revo shocks at the same time. It's like a different motorcycle. Besides being a great suspension, Legend has great service. A Lifetime Warranty, Every component is made at there facility in Sturgis S.D. by Americans, I like that. They are adjustable to your weight too.

I have since found one place that sells the Legend suspension at a discount. Iron Aces Speed Shop. As you know, the Legend AXEO list for $749.95, they offer for $674.96. I assume you could save on the sales taxes as well.

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/leg...-davidson-flh/

These are the shocks I went with

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/leg...rley-davidson/

I went with the standard Legend Revo shocks and have been real happy with the ride, honestly, I sometimes wish I had stepped up to the Revo-A's for damping control. Would have cost me close to $200 more.

If you have not seen the Legend AXEO technical walk through, here is it

Last edited by scottt; 02-12-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Improving the front suspension