Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Rick.mistic0312
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the rear

So I want to drop my 2015 road king as much as possible in the rear. I've looked at blocks and burly slammer shocks, which do you all think is the best bet for a noticeable drop w a decent ride. Also, I like the idea of air suspension for lowering it, but have no clue how much I'm looking at for parts and installation. Any help and pictures would be awesome

Old 02-12-2016, 02:47 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

What's your budget? Low but poor riding is a bad choice.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Rick.mistic0312
1st Gear

Was originally thinking $200, but it really depends on how much it would be for air suspension. If it makes that huge of a difference id wait until I can afford that (tax return)

Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If that bike has the standard type air shocks (no idea what the new ones come with anymore) then go here: http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/ Look at the shocks the site has pictured, if yours look the same then send them to this company to get lowered to whatever height you want. Do yourself and your bike a favor and stay the hell away from those junk *** lowering blocks.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:14 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Air ride might look cool, but isn't optimal, plus they're around $1500+. For about half of that you can get a set of custom built Ohlins set up just how you want them. There's about a million threads on here about lowered suspensions. Look up motorcyclemetal.com, he's highly regarded here.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Welcome from the Charlotte area, and thanks for your great service in the Corp.

Not many choices for a couple Benjamins. See what Uncle Sam gives you back and I suggest in decent shocks. I have 12" Ohlins on my King and well worth it. Front is lowered as well with the bigger wheel. Those blocks may be cool, but you'll want something else in due time. Do it right for that nice ride of yours.

The air ride kits are ...cha-ching!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Rick.mistic0312
1st Gear

Do you by any chance have a photo of how low your bike sits so I have an idea? Thanks a lot

Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 PM
bhibbert80
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bitchin baggers. Awesome dudes to work with. And they do good work. I ran them briefly, very briefly until I got a set of Ohlins... 190$ shipped to your door is what you'll pay. And of course whatever it is to ship your shocks to them in the first place. Their turn around time is crazy quick.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Lowering

I did a ton of research. I wanted to lower my bike. Was not intending on shock upgrade just lowering. After weeks of laboring on it I bought some brand new la choppers blocks off eBay. Sold them before they even arrived because I decided to go with bitchin baggers drop shocks for about $200. Little more than twice price of the blocks. Good thing cause the blocks wouldn't have fit with my V&H exhaust which I found out once the blocks arrived. So I continued to talk with the guy at bitchin baggers cause I couldn't decide on how short to get them cut. Almost bought a couple of used sets, and eventually after having my finger on the trigger for 3 weeks figured why spend $200 and have the same shitty air shock when I can take that two hundred and put it towards performance shocks that are lowered plus keep or sell the stockers. So now I have some ohlins coming that will drop the rear end low AND retain shock travel for a few hundred more than what the BB set up would have cost. Yes it's more but....for two hundred bucks and the worth of your air shocks you get a less travel air shock that is lower... vs a custom shock that some argue are the best shocks out there. For the price of a 2 night stay at holiday inn plus the BB $200 saved and the $100 air shocks worth I have upgraded shocks and lowered *** end. So to lower is about 200 plus the 100 worth, another few bills and you've done that plus bought performance shocks. BB setup is about half the cost of the ohlins I bought. It's a no brainier to upgrade the shock and not just lower. BB does get great reviews. You can also look for progressive 940 or 944. The are priced inline with the ohlins but you can find them for 300 used. Ohlins are hard to find used. I would not consider progressive paying more than 300 for the 940 or 944. Any more than that I would go with the ohlins. All of this info is just based on research not experience, but other members will confirm I have been reading and asking stupid questions so much they just about threw me off the forum.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 PM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Get you some "Junk ***" Pingle lowering blocks and ride the dang motercicle.. Good product at a good price..

Quick Reply: Lowering the rear