Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins, Progressive vs OEM Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ohlins, Progressive vs OEM Air Shocks

I'm always looking to improve my bike. I've been wanting to change to Ohlins or Progressives because I see so many posts about getting rid of the air shocks, so the others must be better....right? Then there's the front monotube thing.

I've had lots of metrics, but this is my first Harley ('13 Ultra Classic) so I guess I'm not sure about what characteristics of the air shocks make everyone change them out? Is it because the air shocks are too rough riding or is it about getting better handling & performance, both or something else?

What kind of improved ride would I noticed if I changed to one of the other brands?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:12 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I too read a bunch of posts and got to thinking I needed new shocks and after spending $800 I found out the hard lesson that I was quite happy with oem's.

For me, I tried the Pro Action shocks and to me it was like running a race shock. They were more stiff and handled well, but I wanted a more cushy soft ride. Afterwards I put my old shocks back on and was very happy.

About the only shock that seems to get consistent reviews is Ohlins.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:37 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You could spend days reading the posts on here about that subject. Properly adjusted upgraded suspension will transform your bike. Progressive rear shocks are ok. Ohlins are much better. Progressive makes a good mono tube upgrade for the forks, if you do them too. I have both and I'm glad I spent the money.
You'll see that Howard from Motorcycle Metal has supplied many of us. He's a great source of information and will welcome your call and questions.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ohlins are wonderful, Progressives are pretty good and the OEM air shocks are pretty much worthless, but what do expect for a shock that costs $5-$10!to produce. There is no comparison between the ride with Ohlins and the ride with OEM.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:00 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

The Ohlin's are light yrs ahead of stock. Those are my only 2 experiences. IMHO the stockers are junk.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

What specific differences do the Ohlins make in the ride? I mean, I read a lot of generalizations like "they'll transform your bike", "Ohlins are wonderful", "great shock!", etc. I'd have to notice a significant difference before I'd drop that kind of coin on a set of shocks without knowing beforehand what specific differences they make when traveling 75MPH down the interstate or on fairly smooth two-lane highways. Or, is it only when you're riding over less than perfect roads before there's a noticeable difference? I can think of a lot of things I could purchase for my bike with $1,000 and shocks are not high on the list.

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
Cossack84 (06-27-2016), ORradtech (06-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Upgrading shocks is not for everyone. If the bike rides fine for you, thats good. Some of us want more from the bike. Upgrading front and rear suspension provides much better handling and ride quality. And having proper spring rates and damping for front and rear, keeps the tires in contact with the road, which also provides better braking and increased lean angle.

Air shocks for me were either harsh, or if made for a softer ride, would bottom out too often. The ride was not predictable and consistent. The rear tire would not be planted, not providing a secure feeling in the twisties, especially on rough roads.

If you lived near by, I'd let you take it for a ride. Their is no doubt you would like the way it rides much more then your Rushmore

Old 05-27-2016, 07:59 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
I too read a bunch of posts and got to thinking I needed new shocks and after spending $800 I found out the hard lesson that I was quite happy with oem's.

For me, I tried the Pro Action shocks and to me it was like running a race shock. They were more stiff and handled well, but I wanted a more cushy soft ride. Afterwards I put my old shocks back on and was very happy
How many miles did you rack up on the Pro Action shocks before you swapped back??

Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
How many miles did you rack up on the Pro Action shocks before you swapped back??
Between 1,000 to 1,500 miles. And had the updated re-valving done on them too. They were good, but just to stiff for my liking. On a descent road they were great, but about half our roads in west La. are pretty rough with sharp ridges in the asphalt and refilled pot holes.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 05-27-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:26 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Hmmm that's kinda odd because I have them on my 15RGS and I absolutely love em! Don't feel stiff @ all that's how the OEM shocks felt. In PA the roads are rough too and no matter how much I swerve and try to avoid pot holes and such it's inevitable your gonna hit em and I'd feel it all the way up thru my back when I hit 1. When I switched to the 13' Pro Action shocks it felt so much smoother and I could actually feel the shocks working over the bumps. Also added a Legend Axeo front end kit @ the same time so I can feel the difference all the way around. Doesn't carve corners like my sport bike but it handles pretty damn good in the twisties now for an 800lb bike

Quick Reply: Ohlins, Progressive vs OEM Air Shocks