Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Shovel Charging Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Roc Rat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Shovel Charging Problems

I've been having charging problems ever since I rebuilt this bike. I keep it on a trickle charger most of the time as I work out of town and don't get a whole lot of riding time in. I first noticed it this spring,, whenever it had it off the charger for a few minutes, it would go to Amber when I hooked it back up. I had it out for a ride and when I got back, it went to Amber on the charger. I had the battery (new) load tested and it was good. I checked continuity on the stator, and it was good,, AC output was normal,, 25 volts and up,, checked both sides of the stator to ground and it was good, no continuity. I ended getting a new HD voltage regulator,, on high idle it shows 13.5 volts to the battery,, took it out yesterday for a good long ride and when I got back I shut it down to talk to the wife for a minute,, started it up with lights on, and it was cranking real slow, lights off and it started up fine. Put the charger back on in the shop, and it went to Amber. It seems to me that even if it had a short, the battery should be topped off after a ride. Can't figure out why the regulator isn't putting out more voltage.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Something obviously wrong! We have a couple of Stickies over in the Tech Electrical section, which give instructions on checking your charging system. They may help you diagnose the problem. We also have a dedicated shovel section, where you can meet fellow shovel owners. I owned one, but it is too long ago to remember much about the electrics - most of my problems were with the wiring, not charging!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM
Daves'81FLHS
Intermediate

I had the same problem with my shovel last year. Had good voltage on the two pins from the stator. Found I had a short to ground on one side intermittently. Had to change out the charging system.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Assuming you are putting out 13.8VDC from the Voltage regulator, it appears the stator is putting out the AC and the diode bridge in the regulator is converting and controlling the DC for the battery.

That said, My first harley was an '81 FX, had her for 10 years and I found the starter solenoid can have arcing issues that do not pass enough current to the starter. If you have never pulled your solenoid apart, it has a large copper washer inside the can that is moved towards the battery lead and the starter lead terminals. The copper washer at times will get arc burns making it difficult to pass current. I would take mine apart from time to time and flip the washer to get a good clean surface and wire brush the heads of the terminals. Every other time I would chuck it up and face the surfaces.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM
Roc Rat
Novice

Actually, when I rebuilt the bike I had to replace the solenoid,, cracked plastic,, got a new HD from the dealer. I also checked the stator,, it had good continuity and no grounding on either port. (Jumping either side showed no continuity to the inner primary case) Is there a specific position for the voltage regulator to plug into the stator? Mine is plugged in with the wires directed toward the inside of the frame. This was a basket case and much of the bike was in boxes,,, including the VR. I've yet to see a picture that shows the position.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I only changed my regulator 1 time in 10 years and that was almost 30 years ago. But what I do remember was at that time alot of guys were having trouble with the rubber seal coming out of the front of the case leaking oil. The oil would lubricate the 2 pin connector to the regulator and the connection would become intermittent as the connector bounced on and off the stator lead. Mine originally had a wire part that came from under the top front inner primary bolt and was bent in a way to apply pressure on the top of the regulator connector to keep it connected. Back then we would buy tuner cleaner and clean those pins at that connection and be sure to have the regulator connector clip.

The stator puts out AC or alternating current and the regulator should not care which polarity as there is only a sinusoidal wave. My recollection is the regulator leads came from middle of motor and the end of the regulator connector was outboard.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Maybe this was the clip, looks straighter than I remember on my '81...

Attached Thumbnails 81 Shovel Charging Problems-clip.png  
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Yes this is what I remember, The wires are coming from middle. If you dont have the clip, get 1. Remove your regulator connector, clean with electrical contact cleaner, and liberally apply dielectric grease before reassembly including proper placement of the retainer clip to prohibit fretting of the connection which will arc and not pass AC to the regulator.

Attached Thumbnails 81 Shovel Charging Problems-clip2.png  
Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Roc Rat
Novice

I'll have to check that out when I get home. I did find that the connections on the plug pins had oil on them. When I put the new VR on, I did smear it with dielectric grease before I plugged it in. When I built the bike I changed it to a wet primary,,, the oil level is lower than the stator. Does primary oil get to the stator? The guy that built my motor had already installed the stator,, how hard is it to get the cover off if I end up replacing once I get the primary drive off? I've watched a lot of videos, but can't find anything on an 81 Shovel,,,

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,923 Likes on 17,476 Posts

May have the battery / starter cables crossed on the solenoid , do that and it's a steady drain on the battery charging or not. Very common mistake.

Quick Reply: 81 Shovel Charging Problems