Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable tour pack install help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 PM
peteperrone
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Detachable tour pack install help

So I bought on eBay a kit fir detachable tour pack for my 2011 FLHTC!
Everything is removed and ready to install only to find out there are no holes in the fender strut covers to accommodate to detachable brackets. Anyone have a quick fix for this without buying the covers?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

The bolts for my docking kit used the same bolts that hold the chrome covers on the side of the fender.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by peteperrone
So I bought on eBay a kit fir detachable tour pack for my 2011 FLHTC!
Everything is removed and ready to install only to find out there are no holes in the fender strut covers to accommodate to detachable brackets. Anyone have a quick fix for this without buying the covers?
Unfortunately the news is not good. Need to get/find the strut covers with holes to accommodate the install. Found this out when I did mine last summer. To buy them new from HD is crazy...almost as much as the complete detach kit!?! Fortunately found mine used here on the Forum from another member in the Marketplace (Touring) section. Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
peteperrone
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Unfortunately the news is not good. Need to get/find the strut covers with holes to accommodate the install. Found this out when I did mine last summer. To buy them new from HD is crazy...almost as much as the complete detach kit!?! Fortunately found mine used here on the Forum from another member in the Marketplace (Touring) section. Good Luck!

Thanks, Lefty33,

I was afraid of that. I am going to do one of two temporary fixes:
1 - drill holes to accommodate then buy new or used ones at another date in time
2 - install everything without the chrome covers. After all they are just cosmetic anyway!!!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM
kevbo
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat right now. How'd it turn out? send pics

Old 01-01-2018, 09:26 PM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kevbo
I'm in the same boat right now. How'd it turn out? send pics
You need a set with the holes in them?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:10 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

I made the additional holes in my strut covers. The brackets covered the area up so can't tell anyways. I believe I had to add some washers under a bolt or 2 to keep the strut cover from collapsing when tightened

Last edited by GregGillette; 01-02-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 AM
kevbo
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking for a set (I' m new can't post WTB yet (30days)) and I'm interested in alternate solutions. So how did you determine where to drill these holes? I have an extra set of standard chrome covers I could modify but don't have a template to guide me...

Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 AM
RFC1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by kevbo
I am looking for a set (I' m new can't post WTB yet (30days)) and I'm interested in alternate solutions. So how did you determine where to drill these holes? I have an extra set of standard chrome covers I could modify but don't have a template to guide me...
I used a set of short pointed set screws and just put them in the holes so the points were out. Your threads have to be clean of any remaining loctite because you're just using your fingers to get the screws in and out and it has to be free. Then just position the cover with the existing mounting holes and just tap the cover with a soft hammer where the spotters are. Just enough to put a slight witness mark inside the cover.
Remove the cover and center punchyour witness marks. I used a small center drill to drill a pilot hole. Drilling thin sheet metal can get shitty real quick using a standard drill bit. Especially when youre drilling a hole that large. I used a Unibit style step bit in a drill press and layed the cover on a piece of wood and drilled to the desired step on the drill. I made mine a bit larger to compensate for any drill walk or misalignment. Worked perfect. I'll try and post a picture later of the finished part. If someone just wants yo buy a set, I have a set with the docking hardware I would sell. I converted my 09 EGC to the one touch bags and utilized all if the Rushmore style brackets. Just hit he with a PM and an offer and I'll get back to you if your interested. Thanks, Mike

Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
RFC1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by RFC1962
I used a set of short pointed set screws and just put them in the holes so the points were out. Your threads have to be clean of any remaining loctite because you're just using your fingers to get the screws in and out and it has to be free. Then just position the cover with the existing mounting holes and just tap the cover with a soft hammer where the spotters are. Just enough to put a slight witness mark inside the cover.
Remove the cover and center punchyour witness marks. I used a small center drill to drill a pilot hole. Drilling thin sheet metal can get shitty real quick using a standard drill bit. Especially when youre drilling a hole that large. I used a Unibit style step bit in a drill press and layed the cover on a piece of wood and drilled to the desired step on the drill. I made mine a bit larger to compensate for any drill walk or misalignment. Worked perfect. I'll try and post a picture later of the finished part. If someone just wants yo buy a set, I have a set with the docking hardware I would sell. I converted my 09 EGC to the one touch bags and utilized all if the Rushmore style brackets. Just hit he with a PM and an offer and I'll get back to you if your interested. Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: Detachable tour pack install help