Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Electra Glide Classic New Shopper

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:57 PM
NBURD
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Electra Glide Classic New Shopper

I am looking for my first Harley tourer. A friend of a friend has a 95 electra glide classic two tone for sale. 14K miles. I looked at it and it is like new. Not a nick, scratch and zero rust. It has been garaged and had 3 owners. It has a upgraded chain tensioner and new battery. It looks like it just came from the showroom. How reliable are they? What should I look for? He is asking $6K and I think it's worth it but I know nothing about harleys. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Nburd. Maybe soon I will have more to post.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

EVO motors are strong and reliable. The only issue is finding accessories to fit, as most are for 97 and later. However, you may not want to add any accessories.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't really know anything specific about that era of bikes. But I do know general things to watch for. First, how old are the tires? More than 5 years old and id strongly consider replacing both. My next concern would be the milage. On the one hand everyone hopes to find that low milage gem. On the other, its only been ridden an average of less than 700 miles a year, which means it has sat alot. That would make me start to worry about dry rotted rubber like bushings and belts. Also sitting that much allows lubricants to settle and possibly allow for condensation and rust/corosion. Not to mention that fluids that sit can alter and become corosive and leave nasty varnishes and deposits.
These may be non issues for you or, once you start riding, turn into big issues quickly.
I don't know what a fair price for that bike would be but while you're negotiating be aware that you could run into some significant costs once it's put to regular use.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. You'll find there are plenty of members with bikes from that era, we even have a dedicated Evo section, where you should call by. It's a 21 year old bike, however old Harleys just go on and on - it sounds like a good buy, especially from someone you know. The comment about tyres is certainly worth following up on, as old rubber is not to be trusted!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:10 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a 1995 RoadKing, same basic bike, and I put 80,000 miles on it with the only problems being a leaking stator and a broken belt. The guy I sold it to is still riding it as far as I know.

Bill

Old 06-12-2016, 08:19 AM
BigUglyMan
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NBURD
I am looking for my first Harley tourer. A friend of a friend has a 95 electra glide classic two tone for sale. 14K miles. I looked at it and it is like new. Not a nick, scratch and zero rust. It has been garaged and had 3 owners. It has a upgraded chain tensioner and new battery. It looks like it just came from the showroom. How reliable are they? What should I look for? He is asking $6K and I think it's worth it but I know nothing about harleys. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Nburd. Maybe soon I will have more to post.
I have a 95 Road King wil 44K miles on it. Runs great.

However, if this guy is telling you that it has upgraded cam chain tensioner I would be curious as the Evo doesn't have a cam chain. Does the owner not know what he is talking about or does the intermediary have his wires crossed? Are you sure of the year? It sounds like a good buy to me.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

My dad just sold his 1996 Heritage to my younger brother. had approximately 24,000 miles on it, bone stock. Still rode like a champ, and never failed to start. The only reason he sold it was health reason. He was having major shoulder issues. $6,000 sounds like a fair price

Old 06-12-2016, 08:33 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
I have a 95 Road King wil 44K miles on it. Runs great.

However, if this guy is telling you that it has upgraded cam chain tensioner I would be curious as the Evo doesn't have a cam chain. Does the owner not know what he is talking about or does the intermediary have his wires crossed? Are you sure of the year? It sounds like a good buy to me.
Perhaps he means the primary chain tensioner?
But again, I don't know squat about the EVOs so, for all I know, it may not have that either???

Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Perhaps he means the primary chain tensioner?
This is my guess. Hayden made a automatic chain tensioner that was very popular on the Evos. The OP didn't say cam tensioner, just chain tensioner.

Bill

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 AM
NBURD
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, Hayden Automatic primary chain tensioner.

Quick Reply: 1995 Electra Glide Classic New Shopper