Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:34 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts
Default Seat problems

I have to do something with my seat. The design is terrible. There is a seam that runs across where you sit and it is pulling apart. Had it repaired once but it is pulling again already. I like the look of the seat on mine and I actually like the way it rides solo. With wife on back seating position changes slightly and is less comfortable.

I live in a town where there is no one to be trusted even for just a cover. So I am contemplating sending it off somewhere else to be redone or just buying another seat and storing this one.
I may just find a decent upholstery shop within 100 miles and have a cover made. Winter project
My question is for those that have either had their seat modified or replaced. How did you decide? A seat that you order online or send yours off somewhere doesn't come with a test ride. What made you decide on what you ended up with and was your first choice the right one?

Last edited by cprhed; 06-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

Contact Mean City Cycles.com. Great work, low prices.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:42 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 on MCC

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Go on ebay and get a new take off Ultra seat for around $200. You can also send your seat to an ebay company that re skins them, Search ebay under "harley touring seat"

Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

have you guys used MCC? what made you pull the trigger? and was it exactly what you wanted/expected the first time?

I am just not sure about dropping this kind of money for rework or new and then being stuck with it.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look at this thread...
MCC Stock Seat Mod

Years of pictures, details and more.
They can make any kind of adjustment you need.
There was even a reply with someone taking a picture of himself on the bike and Allen was able to make some recommendations.

Have fun!
Myron

Last edited by CanonSterVA; 06-28-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:59 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

MCC is close to me. I had just gotten my Ultra and the seat was killing me. They were actually at a local BBQ/bike show. Based on suggestions on-line I met them and they did the seat right there. Had memory foam added to the wifes seat and my seat. Had the seat pan narrowed and probably something else. Cost around $230. I am picking up a 2010 in a week or so and if the seat needs work it is going there no questions.

Seats and bars are hard to get right and you can go through a bunch of each before you find just right. The nice thing with MCC was that I talked with them while we were at the bike and they knew just what I wanted. Buying a whole new seat just adds another set of variables.

They are in the NC foothills. Would make a nice weekend ride to come down and let them do the set while you are there.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:31 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Go on ebay and get a new take off Ultra seat for around $200. You can also send your seat to an ebay company that re skins them, Search ebay under "harley touring seat"
Oh yeah, I put my original seat back on the bike and did a 300 mile ride with no issues to my posterior. That's more than I can say for the rock slab Mustang seat I used to have even after throwing $ down the tubes by having it reworked which was a waste. I thought it was my kiester until I put the original seat back on.

Last edited by TUCCI; 06-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
have you guys used MCC? what made you pull the trigger? and was it exactly what you wanted/expected the first time?

I am just not sure about dropping this kind of money for rework or new and then being stuck with it.
My experience was less than desirable and caution anyone that asks. Seat ended up costing me upwards of $700 between the new seat and the 'mod'. You end up with an appointment date thinking the seat is going to be crapped out a golden goose and magically be the best seat you've ever had only to hear yourself saying WTF ! You end up living with it just to put it out of your mind. Send me a pm if you want to discuss if further, saying anymore will likely get me in dutch with the powers that be.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many seats because there are so many butts for them, it is one of the hardest decisions to make. I prefer a firm seat (like corbin) but the one thing that is a Must for me now no mater what seat I choose on a touring seat is a tailbone cutout (like a Rush seat which is what I currently have and love). Good luck.

Quick Reply: Seat problems