Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Tuner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Metal_Head75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Tuner Advice

Fellas, it's known that this is a common topic and I've done searches for info but have not found good enough info. The FP that has been on my 2002 EGC can't handle the mods done recently and doubt anything will change in the engine setup in the future. The FP has been tweaked with support from the indy shop working with V&H techs, but its not going to work out.

S&S 97' top end
Fueling cam kit: 525 cams, cam plate w.hydraulic adjuster, oil pump, etc.
V&H true duals w/ SE slip-ons.
SE air cleaner

I'm considering either the PCV or the TMax. The TMax is appealing due to it replacing the old ecm and the auto-tune ability. The true duals have o2 bungs. The PCV is the default choice for its large map database and support. I've spoken with Fuel Moto and they recommend the PCV with auto-tune, but its a piggyback and together they are almost the same price as the TMax.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and recommendations

Last edited by Metal_Head75; 08-05-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:40 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Fuel Moto has great support if that Helps.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:47 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I prefer the power vision but with what you listed might want to ask your tuner. That much into the motor let someone dyno tune it.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by todd-67
I prefer the power vision but with what you listed might want to ask your tuner. That much into the motor let someone dyno tune it.
I agree. Not all tuning shops will tune all tuning add-ons, so find a local shop and take their advice for best results. I wouldn't personally use any auto-tuning software on a much modified bike.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Metal_Head75
Cruiser

Gents, thanks for your responses so far. Yes, I have been in touch with FuelMoto and their recommendation is obviously the PCV since they have a huge amount of experience and data using them.

My indy shop is recommending the TM, but the more I read about it, the more I doubt that its the right one for the job. I want to make just one purchase thats best and stick with it.

As a side note, I do not intend to do any additional mods.. This setup is the way its going to be.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:31 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't understand why your present tuner won't support your current mods. Mine was premapped, but after a header and cam change, I had it dyno tuned and it's still on the bike to this day. If it makes any difference I have a Fuel Moto PC III.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Metal_Head75
Cruiser

Originally Posted by just plain john
I don't understand why your present tuner won't support your current mods. Mine was premapped, but after a header and cam change, I had it dyno tuned and it's still on the bike to this day. If it makes any difference I have a Fuel Moto PC III.
John, current tuner module is a crappy FuelPak...

Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If you plan on other mods get a proper Dyno tune. Some shops even
Have multi bike tuner license so ya don't have to buy a tuner. But if ya have to buy a tuner get the one the best Dyno guy near you likes.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

the short version: If Thundermax does not have a base map that matches your engine mods, you are wasting your money. The Auto tune is great for A/F ratios, but unless you have a base map that works with your cams, pistons, compression ratio, etc etc etc, you may find yourself with a tune that is 100% wrong for the engine. Overlap, duration, and other cam characteristics that determine timing have to be pretty damn close, otherwise plan on spending a chunk of change on dyno time and someone finessing the base map to get the power out of the engine.

I am not a fan of piggybacking a O2 module on top of a piggyback tuner like the PC5, heck I am not that big a fan of DynoJet, but there is no disputing that FuelMoto has more maps and better customer service than Thundermax will ever have.

The other pig in the poke is TMax maps are not readily available to look at unless you have an installation CD with their map database. It isn't like you can go poking around their website and find the maps so trying to figure out OF they have a map is a crap shoot

The following users liked this post:
Metal_Head75 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Metal_Head75
Cruiser

Neggy, how do you like the Tmax on your '03?

Quick Reply: EFI Tuner Advice