Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to touring, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 AM
theWicked
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to touring, what to look for?

I have a 2012 softail slim. I've done everything in my power to get it comfortable, and it kind of is, but I can't help thinking I'd be better off with a touring bike. So far I've only ridden a 2012 Road King. I intend on riding more models but I need some more info to help narrow my search.

Oh, and I decided to post this because of all the changes made to the new 2017 models. Seems like guys might be ditching their current bikes so I'm more concerned with what changes were made over the years.

I'm thinking of a starting point of 2009+. New frame, cruise, all that. I think I'm after a Road King (stay naked) or a Road Glide (go fairings) but I'm open to anything. I'm not really into the batwing look. To be honest I'm not into the shark nose either but I like how it is fixed to the bike. Still, gotta ride one.

When did they start putting touch screens on the fairing bikes? Has there been any significant changes to the fairings since 2009? Have any touring bikes come blacked out? Do any of them have bluetooth? Is there a model better suited for someone 6'2"?

I'm probably going to the York factory open house to ride all the new stuff. Out of my price range but it's the easiest way for me to get some kind of idea the differences in all the touring models.

God, I just reread this post. I can't even begin to make it more coherent. Give me your best argument for a specific year/model touring bike I guess. Under $15,000 if that's even possible.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

Oh, and what's the barney level differences in the touring models? Seems like they are all pretty similar and I've never found a really good break down. What constitutes a "Special" and an "Ultra"?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In the end it's going to come down to personal preference. Road Kings are great touring bikes. What you lack on a Road King is the other creature comforts like radio, intercom (if you take a passenger). There are/were two models of the Road King. The Classic has leather covered saddle bags and spoked wheels. Then there's the Road King standard, as I call it. The big difference is hard bags but you also need to consider that earlier models of the latter did not have cruise control but all the classics did. The other thing that appeals to a lot of folks is that the windshield is easily removable and changes the look of the bike tremendously if you like that "wind in your face" feel.

Road Glides, in my opinion, are the best when it comes to the bikes with fairings and lots of creature comfort. Since the weight of the fairing is on the frame it makes the front end feel much lighter and easily maneuverable. With the glides you get some to the entertainment features like radio and such. In 2011 H-D came out with the Road Glide Ultra which added a tour pac and some other standard features like cruise.

As you suggest get out and ride them both either at a demo days or at your dealer. While the ride and features of the new bikes will be different you can begin to get a feel of some of the differences between the bikes. Remember though moving to another bike may not mean you won't change out bars or seats to get to your definition of comfort.

By the by I've owned two Road King Classics and I'm on my second Road Glide Ultra so you can tell which bikes I'm partial to.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by dsigrist; 08-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had a 1995 Road King, 2005 Classic, 2012, and 2013 Limited's. Any one of these is better than the Dyna or Softtail models we have had. I really like the Limited because it has all the creatures comforts, and they are getting reasonable. Our dealer has a black 2013 with 8,000 miles for 17,999.

Touch screens started in 2014 with the Rushmore models. Cool radios, but I am not crazy about the built in GPS. I prefer the Garmin Zumo.

Bill

Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

The Classic and Limited. What kind of creature comforts do they have that say a Street Glide doesn't?

I look at everything that isn't a street glide as either just having lower fairings or a tour pack.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Street Glides are lowered 1", and don't have spotlights. Your best value is an older Classic or Ultra Classic.
There are lots of nice low mileage used bikes out there. You get much better deals in Winter if you live in the North.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Get out and test ride. This will be the only way for you to know what you really like. I traded in a 2004 V-Rod for my 2015 RGS. The V-Rod was quick, the RGS not quick, but I have gotten to a point of my life, where speed is not all I want or need. Now, you get more storage on the full on touring rigs, as opposed to the street or Road glides customs/Specials. And as far as frame mounted fairings as opposed to fork mounted, I do love the feel of the frame mount

Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

Oh I'm going to ride, trust me. But I'm ignorant to the touring model differences. I looked at wikipedia, expecting some kind of table showing changes by year, but the touring bike page is pretty sparse.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To answer your other question about Specials and Ultras; Specials are sort of between the standard line and the CVOs. They typically have additional features not standard on the line bikes as well as limited offering paint options.

Ultras are essentially the full on touring bikes with both saddle bags and tour pac along with lots of creature comforts. The Ultra Classic has the fork mounted "Bat Wing" fairing and the Road Glide Ultra has the frame mounted "Shark Nose" fairing.

Last edited by dsigrist; 08-24-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 AM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread has a good breakdown on some of the differences you were asking about:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-limited.html

Good luck on your search...once I went touring, I never looked back!

Quick Reply: New to touring, what to look for?