Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Road King with V&H Pro Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Viceroy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Road King with V&H Pro Pipe

I'm seriously considering buying a 2013 Road King and need advice. The bike is a one-owner machine wie 36000 miles on it and is cosmetically in great shape. It has the 103 engine with no modifications. My concern is that the owner installed a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe on the bike shortly after it was purchased in 2013 and never retuned the engine. Should I worry about engine overheat issues that could cause problems in the future? I've read in some past threads that as long as no air intake mods have been made that just changing the pipe is not an issue and retuning isn't necessary. Is that true in this case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

If he's only installed the V&H pipe and not a high flow filter element and backing plate along with it, you'll be fine to ride it as is.

The following users liked this post:
Viceroy (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM
Viceroy
1st Gear

Thanks for your help. This will be my first HD and I want to make a good decision on it. I've admired the Road King for a long time and will be very happy to own one.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Agreed - you're okay riding it as it.

And although 36K isn't a lot on a HD touring bike, I'd recommend having a friend who knows bikes look it over, or taking it to an indy shop to get checked out.

Let us know what you do!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:07 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Welcome from NC. Great if you get the King.

IMO, since both the stock header and muffler has been changed, I think the bike runs a bit hotter with that 2-into-1 Pro Pipe. You'll definitely benefit with a new tune, even though the bike still has the stock AC. If it was only the muffler upgrade with the stock header, then your good.

Opinions can vary, but me thinks a tune is the right call. Ask the seller if he still has the stock header and mufflers.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Welcome from NC. Great if you get the King.

IMO, since both the stock header and muffler has been changed, I think the bike runs a bit hotter with that 2-into-1 Pro Pipe. You'll definitely benefit with a new tune, even though the bike still has the stock AC. If it was only the muffler upgrade with the stock header, then your good.

Opinions can vary, but me thinks a tune is the right call. Ask the seller if he still has the stock header and mufflers.
And of course, if you're gonna tune anyhow, might as well bolt on a new AC to get better flow and tune for that...

And so it starts.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Viceroy
1st Gear

I would get the original pipes the deal. We just agreed on a price so I plan to get the bike tomorrow. I see where V&H has anot FP3 that might help with tuning. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The FP3 is a unit that lot's of people are using with decent results. It's not as good as an actual Dyno tuning session but it'll get the bike close to it.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Viceroy
1st Gear

Sounds like it's worth using. If I have the pipe it would be good to tune the bike accordingly. Thanks for your help on this.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:25 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

One way yo tell if it has been running lean is if there is golden color discoloration on the pipe.

Quick Reply: 2012 Road King with V&H Pro Pipe