Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default 2000 Electra Glide Classic

I have a friend who just bought a 2000 Ultra Classic with 50K miles on it and seeing if I can help get it up to speed. What issues do these have and what needs to be done to fix it. Do these have the same primary issues as earlier models? Does it need the "True-Track" to keep them from Wobbling? Etc, etc.

Also, what needs to be done so a larger rear tire can be installed.

And, how many miles can he expect to get out of this bike. 50K is a lot from what I see on here but I saw on another forum a guy who claimed he had 170K miles.

Thanks for your input.

**UPDATE**
VIN Shows as an Electra Glide Classic, not Ultra.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 09-20-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

See if spring tensioners been looked at or upgraded like mines when I built my motor with Andrews cams and BB....Changed to hydraulics with SE cam plate and oil cooler. Any pixs?

Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As your bike sits now, a 140 series rear tire is the widest that will fit. If you replaced your 1 1/2" drive belt and pulley with the 1 1/8" belt and pulley from a 2004 touring bike, you could fit a 150 series. But that's a lot of work/money for less than a 1/2" more width, it would only be worth doing if your old belt needed to be replaced.

The swingarm on that model is prone to cracking, and the cleve blocks should be replaced with something better. If yours does crack, check out MotorcycleMetal.com for information on upgrading to a later model swingarm. His site also has a better replacement for the Cleve blocks.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti
See if spring tensioners been looked at or upgraded like mines when I built my motor with Andrews cams and BB....Changed to hydraulics with SE cam plate and oil cooler. Any pixs?

Thanks. I don't have any pics but the bike is in pretty great shape. The guy went overboard on the radio....has 900watts and a subwoofer and I think my buddy is going to scale down a bit but other than that the bike looks great. Came with a service manual so I suspect that the previous owner did some of his own work. We'll have to start pulling some covers and inspect soon. For now, it runs and rides fine.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buffalolake
As your bike sits now, a 140 series rear tire is the widest that will fit. If you replaced your 1 1/2" drive belt and pulley with the 1 1/8" belt and pulley from a 2004 touring bike, you could fit a 150 series. But that's a lot of work/money for less than a 1/2" more width, it would only be worth doing if your old belt needed to be replaced.

The swingarm on that model is prone to cracking, and the cleve blocks should be replaced with something better. If yours does crack, check out MotorcycleMetal.com for information on upgrading to a later model swingarm. His site also has a better replacement for the Cleve blocks.

Thanks for the info. Not mine but I will pass on the info.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:21 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

50K is not all that much - HOWEVER - All depends on how it was cared for. What your friend Should have done Before he bought it - paid for an inspection at your local trusted dealer or Indy - and gone from there. I sold a 2004 with 82K on it - had it checked and it was still very solid. I have seen much newer bikes that have been really mistreated - average 'Joe' would not know the difference IF They were ONLY looking at miles on the odometer....
Good luck - good advice given already.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
50K is not all that much - HOWEVER - All depends on how it was cared for. What your friend Should have done Before he bought it - paid for an inspection at your local trusted dealer or Indy - and gone from there. I sold a 2004 with 82K on it - had it checked and it was still very solid. I have seen much newer bikes that have been really mistreated - average 'Joe' would not know the difference IF They were ONLY looking at miles on the odometer....
Good luck - good advice given already.

Previous owner had since 2007 and it seems like the motor/trans had regular service. Starts and runs great but choke cable is stuckand one of the breather screws which needs to be removed to get to it is wallowed out. One of the brackets that holds on the rairing is broken. Other than that, it's in great shape. Always garaged so no excessive corrosion or fading on the paint. The guy called by buddy back and wanted to buy the bike back from him....sellers remorse. I guess he was confident that the bike was good.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:31 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 151 Posts

That's interesting, it's got the carb. I had a fairing bracket (inside on the left) break. I was wondering why my fairing was wobbling around so much, and then read how they are a weak point on these batwings. I just made my own bracket out of mild steel, haven't had a re-occurrence since. I did the SE hyd cam mod 4 years ago, make sure your friend checks that. If he's lucky it has already been done.

I agree, if the guy called back wanting to buy it back it's probably a good buy. (Who the he** calls back somebody begging to buy something back? Geeees!)

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 04:58 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
That's interesting, it's got the carb. I had a fairing bracket (inside on the left) break. I was wondering why my fairing was wobbling around so much, and then read how they are a weak point on these batwings. I just made my own bracket out of mild steel, haven't had a re-occurrence since. I did the SE hyd cam mod 4 years ago, make sure your friend checks that. If he's lucky it has already been done.

I agree, if the guy called back wanting to buy it back it's probably a good buy. (Who the he** calls back somebody begging to buy something back? Geeees!)
I sold my iron horse and every couple of weeks or so I am like dang I wish I had that back, but no I haven't called and asked nor will I. I have a 2000 ultra classic and I had an issue with the fuel injection but everything else is good, I do have the wobble at 70 plus and am now working on getting rid of that. I have 56000 miles and she runs strong.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:16 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by svarnster
I sold my iron horse and every couple of weeks or so I am like dang I wish I had that back, but no I haven't called and asked nor will I. I have a 2000 ultra classic and I had an issue with the fuel injection but everything else is good, I do have the wobble at 70 plus and am now working on getting rid of that. I have 56000 miles and she runs strong.

Good to hear. His is carbed so no fuel injection issues and the carb seems to be working well. I haven't had to tune a carb yet but am going to school up and see if I can help him get this running perfect.

One question, the bike has straight pipe with the fishtail mufflers, what is a good exhaust for this bike? The Fishtails are way too loud so I was thinking 3-3 1/2" Rinehearts or something like that. I don't think the engine puts out enough to go to the 4" but not really sure.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ultra Classic