Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth upgrading to fp3 from older fuelpak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Worth upgrading to fp3 from older fuelpak?

hello I currently have the older fuelpak on my 07 roadking with true duals,Roland sands open intake, and CFr exhaust and am getting some frequent stalls during stops and it runs well most of time but getting random rough idles etc..any opinions on the new fuelpak? Thanks

Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I would replace the air idle sensor P/N 27658-06, it worked on my 04 RK. I have the new FP3 on my 14 LTD it is very nice, but I am am gonna get a TTS Master tune dual for use on both of my bikes, then dyno them.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The old fuelpak is a piggy back device, the new one flashes the ECM. Quite a bit of difference but those that see the most gain from the new FP3 are those with TBW bikes. The TBW don't seem to respond well to piggyback devices. If the O2 sensors are still hooked up they seem to battle each other. Having had several of the old style. I can say the new ones are much more user friendly and MUCH more adjustable.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:12 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
The old fuelpak is a piggy back device, the new one flashes the ECM. Quite a bit of difference but those that see the most gain from the new FP3 are those with TBW bikes. The TBW don't seem to respond well to piggyback devices. If the O2 sensors are still hooked up they seem to battle each other. Having had several of the old style. I can say the new ones are much more user friendly and MUCH more adjustable.
Yes, that's right. The O2 sensors really throw things off whenever the bike should be in closed loop mode. When I installed my FP LCD it was running odd, and surging a bit at in-town speeds. I aksed V&H about it and they said to install the competition adapters. These disconnect the O2 sensors, they are just an empty tube. The bike ran great after that, but it was always running open loop then.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser

So does the fp3 stay connected to the bike?

Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Your choice. You can remove from bike when your all dialed in and happy with it

Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser

So if I currently have the old fpack plugged into my ecu should I disconnect old pack from ecu and run bike on regular ecu for a bit before hooking up the new fp3?? Thanks

Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndoggct
So if I currently have the old fpack plugged into my ecu should I disconnect old pack from ecu and run bike on regular ecu for a bit before hooking up the new fp3?? Thanks
Call V&H and ask

Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
harkon
Road Captain

So does the fp3 stay connected to the bike?
There's an app for your phone that allows you to see what's going on in your engine. You can set up nice gauges and such, or start an autotune session. From that standpoint it is pretty much the same as a PV. The difference is that the PV provides the display unit as part of the system, the FP3 uses your smart-phone. Once you get things running like you want, you can remove it entirely and leave it in your toolbox until you need/want to make changes.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
harkon
Road Captain

Yes, the old FP needs to be removed.

You will need to download a tune for your bike via the FP3, ideally before you run it. You will need the app on your smart phone and have the FP3 connected. Then choose your bike and the mods you have, and then download the tune. Good to go and no more piggy back tuner, it's all in the ECU.

Last edited by harkon; 09-20-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Worth upgrading to fp3 from older fuelpak?