Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard down shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:15 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

What Year?
Is there play in the linkage - shift arm on transmission?
Do you use a heel shifter? If so double check shift arm for spline wear?

Clutch adjustment OK - Did you re-adjust it?
Primary adjustment?
Shift Pawl - is there the same feel/movement forward and back?

I've had the issue and the 3 things I mentioned corrected it.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:03 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think what happened is the big spring on the shifter pawl is loosened up a bit. Not sure if adjusting it is just a bandaid where stitches are needed, but will try that. But there is no play in one direction, so it is not equal like it is supposed to be. Going to pull the shift drum & inspect that & the forks. Being a 99 with 120K miles, pieces have a right to be worn. Maybe it's time for a 6spd upgrade. Revtech has them for around 500.00. Temptations. Definitely can't afford a Baker.

Toby

Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If the shift lever has more free play in one direction, it most likely means that the shifter pawl needs to be adjusted.

120k is nothing for a five speed transmission, don`t get your wallet out yet...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:48 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
If the shift lever has more free play in one direction, it most likely means that the shifter pawl needs to be adjusted.

120k is nothing for a five speed transmission, don`t get your wallet out yet...
Agree - Adjust it and ride it before you spend the $$$ unless you just want to spend the money. Doesn't sound like you have the money (I understand that) or you would go straight to BAKER.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
As other have said, check clutch adjustment first. If clutch ok, put bike on a jack, remove linkage and try shifting with some vice grips in the shift shaft (careful not to strip the splines). Rotate rear wheel by hand a bit. This will eliminate any linkage issues as the cause. You should be able tell at that point whether it's a linkage or tranny issue.
SO If the rear wheel is off the ground and you start rotating it by hand, should you be able to shift into all gears? Because I can't on my Dyna. Guess it's a transmission issue then.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

Going to adjust the pawl & try it. I don't have the money to even go to the Revtech, so either the adjustment will work or I will pull the shift barrel & forks out & inspect them. I am hopeful that adjusting it will work since it is tight one direction & has play in the other. I have noticed that sometimes when I am getting on it that it does not always go up into the next gear & neutrals out on me. So it makes sense about the pawl. Been a little under the weather, so I have not spent a lot of time on it. I am about ready to go to the Dr to get this cleared up, what ever it is.

Toby

Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
SO If the rear wheel is off the ground
You have over 700 posts and you don`t know it is poor form to hijack someone else`s thread?

We are trying to help the OP here, don`t make it confusing, start your own thread.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You have over 700 posts and you don`t know it is poor form to hijack someone else`s thread?

We are trying to help the OP here, don`t make it confusing, start your own thread.
Lighten up Dan. It seemed like a legitimate question to me, and in the context of the thread...particularly from someone that English may not be their primary language::

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
SO If the rear wheel is off the ground and you start rotating it by hand, should you be able to shift into all gears? Because I can't on my Dyna. Guess it's a transmission issue then.

The following users liked this post:
lp (03-01-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:50 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

Good news, I adjusted the pawl & put it back together. Rode it just a little ways, shifted good. Will ride it to work tomorrow & see if when it gets warm it still works good. Thanks for all the reply's.

Toby

Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Good deal.

Quick Reply: Hard down shifting.