Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice before plunge on corbin seat+backrest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 AM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice before plunge on corbin seat+backrest?

Yeah so I've been seaching through the forums all evening. I'm on an 07 road king classic with stock seat with adj driver backrest. Chance came up to do a run from minnesota down to southern illinois for work for 4 days, but it's on a tight schedule so I need something that will get me 8-9 hours in the saddle. And I need it in 2 weeks!

I'm about 6'4" 260+. With stock seat I get lower back pain and a sore behind by 2-3 hours.

I know I need a backrest for my back probs, but stock seat and adj backrest pushes me forward and into the tank and I get sore even quicker. If anything I need to move back from the tank.

I also don't want to be moved up too much higher because the windshield is already low for me. Moving down a bit would help if possible.

So here's what I've gathered from researching seat options this evening:
- Sundowner seats: moves rider up and forward and can use standard harley rider backrest, cheapest, but moves rider even further forward with backrest
- Mustang touring seats: moves rider up and can use standard harley rider backrest, priced inbetween
- Corbin classic solo or dual tour: moves rider down and back, but is the most expensive and requires special corbin backrest

So based on this the Corbin looks like the seat I need.
http://www.corbin.com/harley/king/hdrk6se.shtml
http://www.corbin.com/harley/king/hdrk6dt.shtml

But it's spendy so I thought I'd hop on and ask whether I'm missing something and whether folks of similar proportions as myself agree with my research on each. Do you think the corbin will do me best for some serious time in the saddle?

Also, any advice on solo comfort of Corbin classic solo vs dual tour? 2up riding is a spotty affair for me so I want to go with what works best for solo riding and I can swap back as needed.

Thanks! Gotta decide and order with expedited shipping pretty quick here.

Chad

Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 AM
jumpmasterjay
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Advice before plunge on corbin seat+backrest?

I have a Cordin dual tour and the rider backrest. I love it compared to stock, but I am still in my breakin period (1500 miles). Corbin seats are REALLY firm, so be careful as you may want a gel pad to throw over your seat until it is broken in (or your butt finally gives out).

The seat is 100% leather so it will breath versus stock and mustang seats which are vinyl.

I am 6'3" and weigh 190. I am getting Softail Heritage bars tp move me futher back.

I can't tell you about solo, just the dual tour. Sorry.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im 6'3 265lbs classic solo with back rest and there passenger pillion..... you will never regret the money....in fact i will never own another scoot without a similar set up..... really really comfortable..... i am thinking about adding a half inch of height to mine in the off season.... just to see how it feels but its great in stock form and im looking forward to the 1600 mile one way trip to sturgis....

Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 AM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm gonna order the corbin solo + backrest tomorrow after work. We'll see how fast they can get it to me

Back problems are the main thing keeping me from really enjoying this bike; guess I'll find out pretty quick whether this is the fix.

And being as it's a work trip I get mileage reimbursement vs flying down. Can't beat being paid to ride.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Dircha - Before you spend your money directly with Corbin, you might get a hold of Shooter64 on this forum. Send him a PM, he could save you some cash. I got my Corbin from him.

You'll love the seat.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Corbin seats are like cowboy boots. They don't break in. Your feet do . . . Or in this case your @##. Naa, I like the Corbin (have two of em) but they are a firm FIRM deal. Living 40 min from Hollister, I had my touring seat cust made. I did wind up going back to add addn'l padding. 2nd time around was the trick. I highly recommend that route. But there is not a Corbin factory everywhere. Having the rider backrest when you are in the saddle all day is a BIG plus. Takes a few rides to find where you want it (have to remove the seat to adj fwd/aft) 5-10 min?

Quality product though. My "young guns" is 5+ yrs old. Looks brand new. They really hold up.