Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modify stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
DRHD
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: modify stock mufflers

Drilling or punching the plugs in stock mufflersis a good way to scrap aset of stock mufflers, I tried it and they sounded like crap.It can be done and they will make a *** out of a SE or Rush mufflers. But I would leave it people who know what they doing,there are about 4 guysI looked at onebay doing this as far as I have seen only 2 are doing it correct. I just got a set from a place calledPower Pipes USAI was going to send mine in but he sells them already finshed for $100.00 plus shipping a buddy of mine is running a set fromthe other guy his ebay name is bobvic2. I think his pipes sell for $125.00. I see no difference in mine or his they look just alike and sound great. I went with the cruiser series I think he is called the #3 they sound the same to me. I would highly recommend either. I have a stage-1 but both those say they also make one you can runwithout any mods, but I was told they are not as loud but still deep. just my 2 cents

Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
NorCalrider
Advanced

I bought a set of Max 1 modified stock mufflers from guy in Michigan on ebay. I already had the stage 1 103" kit and the stage 1 download done at the dealer. I put my original mufflers away just in case the noise police come after me. My bike runs better with the modified mufflers and I didn't like the look of most aftermarket or screamin eagle mufflers. Mufflers were $135 plus shipping.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 PM
DRHD
Banned

Thats one of the guys I was talking about bobvic he is from MI thats who my buddy got his from, Mine come for the other people inLa, People can't belive how good these guys make the stock mufflers sound and perform. A guy I work with said he was going to order a set to replace his V&H ovals because he liked the sound of mine better.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
HDRider#1
Tourer

I bought a 02 FLHTC in March, stock mufflers on it, when I leaned onit, it sounded like chit. Pulled the mufflers off and took a look inside, theoriginal owner had taken something and ramed it straight threw. Sounded like hell, waste of time and ruined a good set of stock mufflers, found a used set of V&H ovals, all things are good now. Hunt around and you'll find some used pipes in good order, that shouldn't cost you to much and you wouldn't have to ruin a good set of stock pipes.
NowI don't know anything about having the stock pipes modifed by some shop, they might be alright. just my .02 cents.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 PM
marv122
Intermediate

ok i bought a set of #2 modified from bobvic they sound good but are a little too quite for me i also tried punching out a set of stock mufflers they made a whistle sound the ones i bought had the back driled out but the inside plug was still in. what does the #3 mufflers look like on the inside. don't want too punch out the plug and get the same whistle back. CAN'T STAND THE WHISTLING

Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 AM
porkster
HDF Community Team
Received 198 Likes on 143 Posts

I bought a pair on ebay that were actually pretty good nice sound even exhaust flow from both sides no popping, like a dummy ,had to have some vance &amp\\; hines (not that there's any thing wrong w/ vance and hines) but the thing is with after market slip ons on factory headers they never seem to flow evenly. I have an 08 FLHX and noticed finnaly HD started making them even.Anyway back on subject I wish I had kept the modified mufflers from ebay. What they did is drill about a 1/2 in. hole in the right side baffle adn opened up the left side. If you disect a stock set of 08 mufflers in the right side you'll find what loos like two pieces of pipe overlapping each other about three in. a flattened out to about half their dia. at the overlapp. In the left pipe you'll fid a sgort baffle completely closed on one end with a series of what looks to be 5/16 holes drilled around the sides. This guy drills the 1/2 hole through the flattened pipes in the right side and some how cuts the closed end off of the left side baffle. Sounds hokee but they sound good and seem to perform better than stock with out being just wide open crappie mufflers. The sellers ebay name is ralph 4639 contact no. is 913-319-0476. I'm in no way connacted with this guy Ijust liked the mufflers.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 AM
nujohn
Tourer

B&amp\\;B Muffler on e-bay&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; not bad for the $$$$$

Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MINE SOUND GREAT AND I HAVE THE STOCK LOOK
&nbsp\\;
THE LEFT SIDE HAS A FLAT 4 PIECE "BLOCK" EASY TO DRILL OUT
&nbsp\\;
THE RIGHT SIDE HAS VARIED ANGLE WHEN LOOKING IN BOTH ENDS.
I USED A METAL ROD TO GIVE A CENTERED PILOT HOLE THEN USED PROGRESSIVELY LARGER DRILLS UNTIL I HAD THE SOUND I WANTED, WHICH EQUALED TO 7/8-1" TOTAL HOLE

Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

http://www.superflowmufflers.com/
&nbsp\\;
this is the guy everyone is talking about. i got mine and it sounds great! I knew that the first time i pulled into the dealer with it and a bunch of guys just turned and looked. good guy to deal with as well

Old 06-22-2008, 12:10 PM
marv122
Intermediate

thanks guys but still looking for a person that has a set of #3 mod. mufflers they are suposed to be louder than #2 i would like to mod. my #2s they are on a 04 rk