Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust help for "non-wrencher" -- So confused...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust help for "non-wrencher" -- So confused...

Here's my story - I have a '96 (80 c.i., carbureted) Road King. Love it. All that neat stuff.

Background to question: I ride in "deer country" a lot - On my other bike ('05 Honda Sabre) I installed RoadHouse slip-on's as "anti-critter" measures. Not too loud, with a very fast and effective "crack" to them when you tap the throttle. At the first sign of glowing eyes, a quick "THWACK" was all it took to send them running back into the woods. Incredibly effective at about 50 yards (believe it or not, we studied it last year in northern Wisconsin). Crisp - like a machine gun.

On the RK, it's a very smooth, "fluffy" and "pillowy" sound that, although with a typical HD rumble in the low end, resembles more of a gas pedal on a Buick when you twist the wrist. A gentle, smooth, unobtrusive "Vrooooom" goes slowly up and slowly back down.

Not a good anti-critter measure. So far, when I see those glowing eyes, the throttle (or the horn for that matter) *startles* - but does not *scare* - And the startled animal, instead of running away, *STOPS* in its tracks (sometimes in the middle of the street, of course) to look where the sound is coming from.

So what I'm trying to find out - And I apologize, as I'm a mechanical moron and know next to nothing here, so please bear with me --

Is there a set of slip-ons for the RK that have a nice, snappy but not too obnoxious sound to them? *Can* the RK sound "snappy" for that matter?

What will I need to know -- As in, I currently have "unknown" mufflers -- I believe I can see a 1.5" pipe in there if that helps. I also have the "high flow" Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and it's been recently (last weekend) jetted - As the bike was running horrendously lean when I took possession of it.

Right now, it runs like a top - About as good as any bike I've ridden. But as I'm sure any of you know who have ridden in deer (or cager) country, loud pipes *do* save lives. I'd just like to find a happy medium -- Hopefully, one that won't mean completely overhauling my fuel system... Again...

When I first got the bike, I had to choke it for 5-10 minutes and start riding with the choke halfway in just to keep it running. The heat was unbearable. The front shield was yellowing quickly. Now, I choke it for 20 or 30 seconds and ride away. A few treatments of chrome polish, and even the yellowing is hardly noticeable anymore. The heat from the motor is much more "normal" and I'm thrilled about it.

I'd be that much more thrilled if I could get that crisp "thwack" out of the pipes - but without driving my neighbors nuts. But again, I have no idea. Maybe the motor isn't capable of "quick" and machine-gun like thwacks.

So confused... [:'(]

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust help for "non-wrencher" -- So confused...

Might check out SAMSON's Exhaust...http://www.samsonusa.com/

There Rolled Thunder or Silver Bullets - Nice BARK and will mellow out @ Hwy Speeds....

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really need a nasty bark from the mufflers , I have to agree with Pappy on the Sampsons.
Recently I was on a poker run with a bunch of my friends club members and there was a bike that had a nasty snarl to it.
I could make out the guys pipes above all the other bikes (about 10 other bikes) , so I asked him what they were at one stop.
They were Sampson fishtail pipes and mufflers (duals I think)on a Road King.
Much higher pitch and a nasty snarl on decel compared to most I've heard.
I don't know how they would sound while riding the bike , but at a distance they were nasty sounding.
Just an observation.
Nice website BTW.
Mick

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are any number of pipes that will give you the noise volume you want & several that have the higher pitch I assume you're looking for. The quick "thwack" on the other hand is a function of the motor & you'll never be able to equal your old Honda Sabre for the speed of exhaust note change. The Harley long stroke, heavy flywheel motor builds RPM slower than the short stroke metric motors. A major reason the metrics are quicker at acceleration & Harleys are more comfortable at speed.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Nasty snarl" -- Oh goodness... [:@]

Understood that I'm not going to quite get that "Sabre Smack" (Sabre rattling? heh...) out of it. Just looking for more of... More of what my brother's Soft Tail or my buddy's Dyna have... But less "nasty" then either of those particular bikes.

On to the more "technical" (at least for me) side though: Are there particular units that I should - or should not - be looking at that might prevent me from having to do any more tweaking on the carb? Or is it one of those things that you just don't really know until the new muff's are on...?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries, your pipes must sound good... even animals like to pause and hear the rumble of a Harley com'n down the road... there is a little animal in most of us.... so there must be a little Harley in an animal....

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get something with similar flow to what you already have. Ask around at different shops. I always call the 4 shops around me when I want an answer. You get different answers and it gives you a good range of options. You can also call some out of state dealers or shops that aren't in your area. Gripe about your local dealer then ask their advice. They love that. I do it all the time. They will talk to you forever! As far as Samson, I have a set and the quality is not that great. The sound is cool, but they use thin steel. Kind of a cheap product IMO. I would check out something quality like Hooker, V&H, Rinehart, etc... I had Hookers before and they were really nice.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

I put Python slip-ons on my completely stock 07 Street Glide. Nice and loud when I "whack" it and mellow at 80 mph so I can listen to my radio. I like them. Priced right at East Coast Performance, one of the sponsors of this forum with free shipping. Take a look at them.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Might check out SAMSON's Exhaust...http://www.samsonusa.com/

There Rolled Thunder or Silver Bullets - Nice BARK and will mellow out @ Hwy Speeds....
I have the Samsondrag fishtails on my bike. The carb has been rejetted, and sounds awsome, IMO. They have a very distinct rap about them, when you turn the throttle. I love them, and they were not very expensive. They also offer the same pipe with a straight cut, if fishes aren't your thing. One a ride, recently, someone made the comment that they sound like the old glass packs used on hot rods, if you are familiar with the sound.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Buzzard69
Intermediate

I also live in deer country wisconsin and run the Bassani Scollop Cut Slip Ons Not bad sounding and can give the quick crack to drive the brown beasts back in the woods.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help for "non-wrencher" -- So confused...