Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Auxiliary Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Auxiliary Switch

On the back side of the chrome cover over the handlebar risers there are two switches. The one on the right side operates the Passing Lamps and the one on the left side is an extra switch for accessories.

I followed the wires from theauxiliary switch.Four wires exit the switch and go to a white connector that has only two wires going to it. I assume that one of the two wires isa positivehot wireand the other is the switched wire. I have no idea why there are 4 wires coming out of the switch. Does anyone know what the exra wires are for?

My real question is where do the two wires go to so thatI can connect my portable GPS power lead to the auxiliary switch? They appear to go into the wiring harness behind the headlamp, but where do they exit? Is there a connector to attach to?

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer
Default RE: Road King Auxiliary Switch

Mr Clean,
I have on 03 RK, if you look under your seat near the battery you will see a square plug, that is where that switch leads to..You can get a cigarette lighter/ power output for around $20, it comes ready to just plug into that connection and you are good to go. This is assuming that it has't changed since 2003.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Harley Stan:
I thought the plug under the seat went directly to the battery or to the battery through the fuse box and was hot all the time. I have read that it is a good plug to use to connect a battery tender to. The plug matches the plug on the battery tender.

I will take the seat off and check to see where that plug goes. If it is hot, I will check to see if it looses power when I turn off the switch on the left up front.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer

Here is a quick snapshot from the 2003 service manual, the pen is pointing to the connector you are looking for located under the seat by the main harness ground.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

Hey, I have an 06 RKC, if you remove the right side panel, you will find the accessory plug. It is not under the seat anywhere around the battery, it took me a year to finally get around to removing the right side panel...it is right there. good luck.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Default RE: '07 Road King Auxiliary Switch Question

Thanks guys, but I still need help with my original question. My bike is an '07 RKC and is probably different thanHarley Stan's'03 and ms3300's '06.

Here is what I have found so far:
1. There is an accessory plug, attached to the framewith a tie wrap, below the seat. That plug is always hot and is connected directly to the battery with a 7.5 amp inline fuse. I can use thisto connectmy Battery Tender to the battery.
2. Beneath the seat there are no accessory plugs
3. Beneath the right side cover, there are two plug as follows:
a. A light gray DEUTSCH plug with three wires - a black wire, a gray wire and a green wire witha purple tracer
b. A black plug with four wires -a green wire with a red tracer, a black wire, a purple wire with a red tracer and a purple wire with a blue tracer. I do not think either of these plugs are accessory plugs.

The two wires from the auxiliary switch that are at the white connector behind the headlight are orange and are a heavier guage wire than any of the wires under the right side cover.

Someone must know where I can connect to the switched wire from the auxiliary accessory switch on my '07 RK Classic

It seems to me that it should be somewhere in the front of the bike, but I do not know.

Does anyone out there know for sure?

Is there a different forum section thatI should be posting this questionin?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 RK Classic. Mine has the grey 4 pin deutsch plug in the cavity beneath the seat just behind the petrol tank.

Depending on which of the 4 pins you use you can have.......

Constant power when the ignition is on.

or

Switchable power from the auxillary switch on the left rear of your lamp niacell. (the one oposite your driving/passing light switch)

or

Power when ignition is on and the brake is applied.

I have used the HD splitter to provide two power plugs from the one. One I have run for my Zumo and the other I have used for the cigarett lighter plug.

WB

Old 10-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Thanks WildBill2566:

I found two gray plugs in the cavity under the seat, directly behind the fuel tank. One is a lighter gray color wih only one heavy guage red wire going to it and the other is a darker gray DEUTSCH plug. I cannot see the wires going to that plug, but probably can get to it if I remove the battery.

I will let you know whatI find. I thinkI will also purchase the H-D splitter. That will make it easier to reach that plug and will give me two plugs to connect to.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Mr. Clean

Thanks WildBill2566:

I found two gray plugs in the cavity under the seat, directly behind the fuel tank. One is a lighter gray color wih only one heavy guage red wire going to it and the other is a darker gray DEUTSCH plug. I cannot see the wires going to that plug, but probably can get to it if I remove the battery.

I will let you know whatI find. I thinkI will also purchase the H-D splitter. That will make it easier to reach that plug and will give me two plugs to connect to.

The lighter grey plug is I think a little larger, and thats the one I mean. The plug is fitted with a moulded plastic clip affair on one side, I'll call that the top. When viewed from the front looking into the cavity I think that the top left and bottom left pin provide the switchable power, but stick a tester on it to check in case my memory is off.

Wb

Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Oh I forgot to mention that this power feed is fused from the main fuse box, but if you are running a low power cable from it over a distance, like the feed I used for my Zumo, include a 2 or 3 amp inline fuse. With the light wires although unlikely, if the wire chafes it could creat heat and still not blow the larger main fuse which I think (not sure) is rated at 15 amp continueous. I think that there is unlikely to be a huge risk but for a few pence (sorry cents) its no problem. If you are using the HD ciggy piwer outlet then I dont think this is an issue as its a HD design which should have been accounted for.

WB

Quick Reply: Road King Auxiliary Switch