Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used '02 Roadking or Buy New?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Littleleroy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used '02 Roadking or Buy New?

My dealer has a very clean '02 Roadking with 15K on the clock for $12,500. Two questions: Is that a reasonable price (I think so based on KBB, but I'm a newbie), and how would all of you weigh the advantages/disadvantages of a carbed bike (no need to modify for cooler running) versus having a six speed tranny on a newer bike? The bike is stock with hard bags and mag wheels. Forgot to ask them about any warranty.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Used '02 Roadking or Buy New?

'02 = no warranty, no financing deals, already has 15000 miles on it, and you said it was carbed.

'08 = warranty, good financing, it's brand new so you are starting fresh, bigger motor, 6 speed tranny, and it's efi.

For me, 12500 for an '02 vs. 18500 for an '08..................I would get the '08.

Steve

Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Id get the 08 and abs unless price forbid it.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 854 Likes on 414 Posts

The price might be a little high if the seller were an individual, but it's not too bad for a dealer. Still, given the market, you might see if he'll come down a little.
Personally, I'd rather have an '02 than an '08. I know a lot of guys that have the newer models will disagree, but I think the '02 is better in most departments. It's simpler and has stronger crank bearings just toname two.For me, I have no need for the greater displacement with its leaner configuration; the fly-by-wire; the six speed with its attendant problems. I always felt the addition of the sixth gear was a solution looking for a problem. Good grief! These bikes would be fine with three gears.
So speaking only for myself, I'd much rather have the '02; I don't mind spinning a wrench occasionally, but I think the bike is less likely to need anything other than basic maintenance.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM
antrome
Cruiser

My first Harley was purchased used. I never realy felt like it was totaly mine, reguardles of how much i customized it. This past spring I bought a new road king. It might sound silly, but I am muchmore satisfiedwith the new bike even though there was nothing wrong with the used one ( 05 flhtci ).

Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

I'd buy the 02. For 12.5 ??!! Oh yeah.Sometimes dealers with throw in a 6 mo warr on used ones.
You can always bump it up to a 95". I like the shorter stroke "88" config. Smoother, revs up faster.
Carb ?? YES YES YES !!! No heat issues there.Jet it up !!!

The new ones are sweet, but not out of the box. It's not a done deal. You HAVE to change the exh system, re-map it, and stillput heat shields under the seat so it doesn't bbq yer a$$. The Svc Mngr at the local deal told me he's already seen one of those IDS bandaids come apart.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:10 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kelley BB & NADA are both not even close on the motorcycle side of values...

If ya got the CASH to make the deal and it's something YOU really like\want... Buy it... If ya going to finance it you might consider working a deal with one of the dealers in and around your area for a '07 NEW - Or going with a NEW '08 (Always more fun to buy a new one and make it your - then to buy a used one)

Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this really depends on your financial position of what you are able to do and if and how much you are willing to finance. I waited until I had the cash to buy my bike and also bought an 02 used several years ago. If I were to have bought a new bike it would have been about another 10K not including the mods. It all depends on what is more important to you. Brand new or slightly used. Hmmmm...I ahve never bought a brand new motorcycle and have owned 13.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM
McSporster
Advanced

The new smell itself may be worth a few bucks...and, you would have the "opportunity" to spend more to make it all yours. I just went through the same kind of consideration, finding prices very similar to what you have, but was lucky to find an individual wanting to sell an '01 RK at a good price. After putting another 1,000+ miles on it over the last couple of months, I couldn't be happier. Fortunately, it came from the previous owner with exhaust and chrome that I would have likely chosen, so there's been little else to spend on (although there's always something you'll need/want;-) I've gotta tell you, though -- and, it may not be a valid comparison -- but, after having riden an '05 Sportster with carb for a while, I sure do like the RK fuel injection so much better. You'll get some good and knowledgeable advice here -- read and heed and go for one of them, for sure!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
az232
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Uncle Peepers. When you buy an 08, it doesn't stop with the $18,500 you just spent. I bought an 06 Road King last Sept. with only 1k miles on it. I didn't feel I needed the larger displaced engine, I didn't feel I needed the 6th gear (I ride really smooth in 5th gear up to 80. I don't go any faster than that), and even though there was some warrenty left I do most of my own work so that didn't really matter. I paid $14,900 for mine. I am spending part of the $4000-$5000 I saved on add ons. The rest I'm sure I'll spend on the bike later but I'll have the bike I want and I'll never spend as much as I would've if I had bought a new one. This was my third bike, all pre owned.

Quick Reply: Used '02 Roadking or Buy New?