Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mattswit
so many great ideas. where to start?
1 by 1 and before you know it you'll have more than a handful done!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long long ago I started from the beginning writing down different ideas from this thread, then I lost the notes damnit Too bad there isn't an index..

Old 04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
mkevns
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have a different voltage requirement?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Default Make a 1/4" drive tool for tranny end cover or bar clamps.

We see posts once in awhile about the common tranny end cover coming loose and leaking. ( revised torque spec is now 25 ft lbs.)

Owners may be hesitant to tackle this as the manual says remove headers...what a PIA.

The alternative is to use another tool that is small enough to get in there- this also works for the handlebar clamps, which is what i was adjusting today.

A 1/4" drive screwdriver bit can be placed butt end first into the allen head and turned with a wrench.

if clearance is tight, just hacksaw a piece off of a 1/4" allen wrench. slip it into the allen and turn with a wrench.

Keep the stub with your other allens- I misplaced mine ( cause it's small) so i made another- I'll put a big piece of tape on this one

job done.

Mike

Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
We see posts once in awhile about the common tranny end cover coming loose and leaking. ( revised torque spec is now 25 ft lbs.)

Owners may be hesitant to tackle this as the manual says remove headers...what a PIA.

The alternative is to use another tool that is small enough to get in there- this also works for the handlebar clamps, which is what i was adjusting today.

A 1/4" drive screwdriver bit can be placed butt end first into the allen head and turned with a wrench.

if clearance is tight, just hacksaw a piece off of a 1/4" allen wrench. slip it into the allen and turn with a wrench.

Keep the stub with your other allens- I misplaced mine ( cause it's small) so i made another- I'll put a big piece of tape on this one

job done.

Mike
I have used the cut allen/hex idea other times when working on an evo rocker cover.
Back bolt is covered by frame backbone.
This is were mechanics save clock time but still charge book time.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:30 PM
FLHTCU LATER
Stage IV
Smile

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Look at nearly any new 2009 touring bike and the ends of the mufflers will be rusted, even on the showroom floor. There is an easy and cheap fix for this. For less than $5.00 you can get a brass wire "fine" cup brush at the hardware store. Put it in your 1/4" electric drill and go to work. The small cup brush will remove any rust or crud in there and you will be left with a brilliant and shiny new tip on the "inside" end of your stock mufflers. You can either tape them off and paint black using a rattle can or simple buff them out once a month to keep that chrome look. The mechanic at the Harley shop happened to see mine in the parking lot and asked what I did. It told him. He said that if I didn't use official Harley paint that I would probably void my warranty. Then he laughed and said "Just kidding".
I did the same thing to my 2008 FLHTCU but I used a hi heat curing paint that cures when the pipes heat up after the paint is applied. I haven't had to mess with them again-

Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 AM
JimmyBlack79
Tourer

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
All cup holders are $70??! What, are they nuts?

Here's what I did in a few trips to the hardware store, with some angle brackets, pipe clamps, an old leather belt, some webbing, pop rivets, a cheap dollar store cup holder and a PVC pipe coupling. Two cup holders. And the slot in the one on the bars is so my heated coffee cup wire fits in it (gots ta have that java in the AM!)

Yeah, I know, I'm cheap and have too much time on my hands, but I prefer frugal.

Well?

Edit: Yeah, I know, wash the trike.

That's pretty cool...great idea

Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Release for Tour-pak

OK, so the problem I faced was this: 2013 Road King Classic with the leather tour-pak and a wife who like to ride with me on occasion. I like having the bike stripped down to the solo Mustang seat when I'm just out and about and like having the tour-pak for extra storage space. The solo and 2-up brackets pop on and off the bike (easy once I changed out the spacers on the forward docking point), but there was still another 20 minutes involved removing and replacing the 7/16 bolts, nuts, and washers from the four attaching points. I wanted to make a quick-release system between the tour-pak and the docking brackets.

Solution: four dzus fasteners, just like the saddlebag attaching hardware.

I had to re-drill the forward holes on the solo bracket to match the 2-up (the curve at the bottom front of the pak wouldn't accept the solution).

I took the brackets to a local machine shop and we cut out notches for the dzus receptacles. Spacing is corrected by the addition of a 1/8" rubber washer (which is held in place by a 1/4" rubber o-ring, thanks to a brilliant suggestion in another post about retaining lanyards in the saddlebags).

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-2-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-3-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-4-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-5-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-1-version-2.jpg  

Old 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour-pak Quick-release 2

Second batch of pics...

This should be listed as a time-saver. The fasteners were about $60 (on Denniskirk), plus the labor at the machine shop.

Then again, I save about a half-hour every time my wife wants to ride with me. What's your time worth? What can you do with a half-hour?

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-6-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-7-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-8-version-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tour-pak-mod-9-version-2.jpg  

Last edited by PaddyH3GM; 05-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the rack stays on the bike when the tourpak comes off?
Doesn't the Road King use the same quick dis-connect as the touring bikes?

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$