Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
'10RKC
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Spent about $45 at Home Depot.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_2971.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_2973.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_2974.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by '10RKC
Spent about $45 at Home Depot.
What you put together is sweet: cheap, extremely functional, professional looking results, and requires a minimum of time and talent. Another home run on this thread.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Womack
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stu07hd
This is the best cheap DIY mod I have done to my 07 Ultra. It is to put an alarm siren that works with the factory alarm.
Go to Radio Shack and purchase Part #273-079 less than $6.00.

My local Radio Shack did not have the part in stock, but allowed me to pay for it in the store and shipped it to my house free of charge. I had it 2 days after I ordered it.

Don't know why HD sells the alarm and siren seperate, but read the post about the "Radio Shack" siren so I thought it would be an easy inexpensive fix and it was.

here is the post that I read about it in posted by ROLLNTIGER.

Removed the right side saddle bag and cover and then removed the electronic control module, 2 hex head screws. Removed the plastic cover, two nuts. Cut the head off the factory wiring harness. The factory wiring harness has three wires black, brown, and green. The siren only has a black and red. Take two pieces of shrink tubing and place over the red and black wires from the siren. Wired the red from the siren to the brown from the wireing harness and the siren black to the bike green. The black I just tucked back into the wireing cover. Test your connections! Slide the shrink tubing back down and used the blow dryer on high setting to shrink the tubing. The siren is small enough that I used some 3M emblem tape and secured the siren where the wiring harness was located. Simple using "cutacroshorty" as my instuction manual.

I was surprised at how small the siren is and never thought it would be loud enough. For those that have the alarm but no siren this is a great mod.

I did not cut the head off the factory plug. I stuck the wires in the holes in the factory plug and taped it all together. When I pulled off my plastic cover the plug was being held in a clip on that cover. As far as the sound, the speaker itself is very loud (120db), but after it is taped inside the plastic cover and the side cover is put back on it is not as loud. It is still very noticeable, but just not blaring loud. Any other questions let me know. I don't know if it will work on the 06 models but it seems like I read where there is a difference between the 05 and the 07, not sure about 06.

Good luck and feel free to PM with questions.
This is a great cheap mod that works really well.
I have a 2015 Roadglide Special.
I went to Raido Shack here in SoCal.
I purchased two (2) 110db sirens and wiring connectors.
The total cost was only $ 11.08 including tax.
I hooked up two sirens, one under the right cover & one under the left cover. Plenty loud and it took maybe 1/2 an hour from start to finish includding a smoke break. On the 2015 RGS the plug is under the left cover. The red wire on the sirens goes to the red wire on the HD plug. The black wire on the siren goes on the green & white wire on the HD plug.
Very simple mod that was CHEAP yet effective. My Kind Of Mod For Sure.
Swomack

Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 AM
adtuck
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best idea I've seen here in days. Thanks for the inspiration.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a quick and easy way to decorate your brake calipers and provide a unique look. My bike is a Firefighter Edition so I used collar pins used in my profession. However, any pin of the correct size will work. Removed the "pin" from the back of the pin and then used RTV to attach it to the brake rotor. Easy enough to remove if you need to and really dresses the caliper up.

FLHX Brake Caliper II by t_davis45, on Flickr

FLHX Brake Caliper by t_davis45, on Flickr

Old 04-13-2015, 09:27 AM
hdvirgin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, subtle but very nice touch.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 AM
2-whlz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=sgr60;13760409]I just wanted to share the find I made today. I was at home depot today and found this 5-pack of various sized nylon pouches on sale for $7.50. Pretty good score IMO. I used one to hold my tool kit and one of the smaller ones to hold my reg, insurance, etc. And I have three left!

Thanks all for the tips/tricks.

[

Great idea

Last edited by 2-whlz; 04-19-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:40 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is just a quick cup holder set up for $5. I found the metal piece at walmart in the bicycle section and had some extra material left over from the custom speaker grills so i made a basket for it. for $5 why not....

Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyfiremedic
Here is a quick and easy way to decorate your brake calipers and provide a unique look. My bike is a Firefighter Edition so I used collar pins used in my profession. However, any pin of the correct size will work. Removed the "pin" from the back of the pin and then used RTV to attach it to the brake CALIPER. Easy enough to remove if you need to and really dresses the caliper up.

FLHX Brake Caliper II by t_davis45, on Flickr

FLHX Brake Caliper by t_davis45, on Flickr
just a minor correction

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennedy81
Why would you make a turn with your feet on the ground?
Correction, after waiting for the light to turn Green, and make a right turn, i noticed it was gone after putting the feet up

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$