Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the chevrons are individual LEDs?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AbnMP13
So the chevrons are individual LEDs?
Yes they are individual LEDs. It'd be nice if someone made form-fitting chevron add-on that would screw or sticky-tape to the fairing, but they don't exist. Remember, this is a DYI thread.
I got my RL-5-R8030 Red LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. They're only $.53 each. Simply connected the series strings in parallel with the existing turn signals.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer

So you just made a pattern from cardboard or paper and drilled the individual holes?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer

Post a pic of the chevrons not illuminated please.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AbnMP13
Post a pic of the chevrons not illuminated please
So you just made a pattern from cardboard or paper and drilled the individual holes?
Push the pause button on the video and catch it in an OFF part of the cycle. Close-up is near the end. Go full screen to see a larger view.

Sort of.
  1. I put wide masking tape to cover the area where the holes were to go.
  2. Then, put the motorcycle on a scissor jack and centered the steering so that the batwing was level.
  3. Then, I marked the center point LED position with a Sharpie.
  4. Next I took a level and drew a line on the masking tape from the center LED point.
  5. Then, I took a piece of cardboard with 1/2 of the chevron angle, placed one edge on the level line and marked the other edge onto the masking tape for the upper half of the chevron. Did the same for the lower half.
  6. Next, using a caliper, marked points along the two chevron lines, precisely 1/2" apart.
  7. Then, I center-punched and drilled the nine LED holes with a tiny drill bit.
  8. Drilled again with an intermediate drill bit
  9. Drilled the final time with a drill bit that gave a very tight fit. 3/16" I believe.
  10. Pushed the LEDs into the holes. Oriented the wire leads on the back so that the anode of one would be near the cathode of the adjacent.
  11. Twisted the adjacent-pair leads together and soldered.
  12. Attached the wires and tested.
  13. After satisfied, gobbed Silicon RTV over all connections to provide insulation and to minimize vibration of the wiring.
Caution, 12 volts across one single LED with pop the LED in a millisecond! The current needs to be limited. The voltage drop across a series of four or five LEDs is adequate to limit the current without an extra resistor and allow full brightness.

If there is really any interest in doing this, I'll do drawings and full directions in my website. The project only cost $6.00.

Last edited by DWKen; 12-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer

I'm interested.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM
sdaley6999
6th Gear

Just completed the alarm mod. Awsome info. Next Led's and Raking the bike out for my 22" front rim

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
LaneG
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
I wanted more turn signal visibility, for cars behind and to the side as well as for me. I hate it when I think the turn signals are ON and they're OFF, so the installation of tiny green LED's set into the inner fairing did the trick. Now, I can see these turn signal indicators in my peripheral vision instead of having to look down for them while at speed in traffic.

The red chevrons are pretty noticeable from following vehicles, too; especially if they're in adjacent lanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQjXRbD3Dy0

Thank you so much, I'm going to do this. You told us which LEDs you used for the chevrons, but what about the green ones? And since you're not using 4-5 with those, I take it you used a resistor right?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Yep, the green ones are also from superbrightleds.com. They're RL3-G4518 Green 3mm LED at .67 each.

For the green, I used a 680 ohm series resistor. Tried 1K ohm but it cut the brightness down too much.

Here's a tip: I bevelled the facing edge of the holes for the green LED's so that they appear sunken in small craters. Beveled just a little. Also I only pushed all of the through the fairing far enough that the leading edge of the domes were flush with the face of the fairing. (reds and greens)

If you push the LEDs as far as they go, they'll stick out from the fairing about a sixteenth to 3/32's of an inch. It's prettier if they're flush.

I've offered to do a friend's bike. If I do, I'll take pictures of the whole process, step by step; and put it on my website.

Ken

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 PM
DWKen
Cruiser
Default Here's another DYI lighting project

I have a light fetish. I love bright flashlights, bicycle lights, motorcycle lights, etc. Here's a DYI project that no vendor has yet mass-produced for sale. It works very, very well; except that the LED lamps emit EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) at about 30 mhz. It's not bad, but cuts down the recieve range of the CB radio. I'm trying to create a filter circuit so that the EMI doesn't get out of the fixtures.

The fixtures are old Dyna front turn signal with the guts removed. I made the mounting plates from some scrap stainless that I have in the shop. It's plenty stiff.
The light emitters themselves are brand new technology 6-watt single LEDs. (MR16-W6W White 6Watt LED bulb - Cool White 15 degree MR16-CW6W-C15) I also bought these from superbrightleds.com. They're fairly expensive at almost $40 each, but if the low mount and extremely bright pinpointe lights attract a lefty-turner's attention, the price is cheap.

The left hand lamp isn't mounted yet for these pictures. I had to fabricate the mount because the Dyna left and right turn signals are different. Actually, I believe any of the bullet-shaped fixtures would work fine.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$