Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
61panhead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom

Forthe lastfew years I had convinced myself that I wanted a Wide Glide, but I also liked the look of a Road King. I rented a Road King for a day. I still thought I wanted the Wide Glide. Yet, the more I looked at the Road King, the more I liked it.

Finally, I had come around to thinking Road King over Wide Glide.
I walked into the dealership to look at Road King again and sitting there on the floor was a Street Glide.
I bought it on the spot.

I love my Street Glide. I especially like having the iPod capable stereo.
But I still think the RoadKing is the best looking (and most versatile) bike on the road.

I'm only 5'8", 175 lbs.
I consider people your size to be Goliaths.
You'll regret getting anything smaller than a Road King.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

If it's between the Sporty 1200 and the SuperGlide, well, go with the big twin. If you can spot the higher cost of the RoadKing - well, If I had found a better all-around HD, I would have bought it years ago.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started off with a RK, traded that on a Wide Glide and ended up with the Street Glide. To me the Street Glide is the best of both worlds. Its streamlined enough to still look cool, yet it gives you the amenities of a Bagger.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
khenders
Advanced

Thanks Guys - I'm lucky because I'm not in a realhurryand Iwould liketo do thisright (if possible) this first time. I think I'll do a little more research and than rent a few bikes this spring.My thoughs are thatmoving up to a Road King/E-Glide (with care) might be better this summerthan being too small for a year or two ....

Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the others. You won't find the SG to be big enough for you. Get the RK it has the same chassis as the other baggers and you will find it as roomy as any bike out there.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

I'm a big short dude 5'7" and I would say get the RK. I love mine and it is easy to handle. You might want to take the advice earlier in this thread and rent one for a day to see what you think. I assure you that the little metric thing you have been on will be a short lived memory. The RK has so much to offer. Don't let the price run you off. Just think of it like GMC's slogan: "Professional Grade, Not more than you need, just more than you're used to." You'll find that you want to ride it more than the weekends.
Plus, you'll be able to get involved with a great group of friends in your local H.O.G. chapter. I never thought I would be the "chapter member" type but, I am now and really love all of the opportunites that it opens up. I guess that's why alot of metric people always yak bad about the Harley Guys...ENVY. And not just the bike! Good luck which ever way you go.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
FLHR143
Cruiser

Buy the Roadking, best of both worlds. Good for around town or the long haul!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Road King or the Ultra for a guy your size. Don't even consider the dyna frame. Just go to the dealer as folks above have posted and rent a touring bike and or the Road King for a day each. The're easy to handle and will only take a day or so for you to be totally comfortable on one. Ask the dealer to apply the rental costs as a credit if you buy the bike too.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer

IMO I had a lot more leg room to stretch out on my Superglide (it had forward controls). As for what to pick, I wish I would have bought my King first time around. I started on a sporty thinking it would be easier to ride, traded it in on a Superglide, man what a difference, the superglide was way easier to ride. Now I look back and think the same about the King, I will tell you size doesn't matter in handling, this King does it all and better than my Superglide or my sporty. Get A King you won't regret it.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/superglide04/DSC00499.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...lide04/015.jpg