Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on Airintake and motor fins??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
ropd0184
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on Airintake and motor fins??

Ok...lets see if I can explain this without pics since my bike isnt here right now.
I recently installes my Stage 1 Kit, with the screaming eagle air intake, PCIII, and V&H turndowns. Now im noticing that I have a small amount of oil residue on the actual airintake mount that goes up next to the motorblock. I also noticed some residue on the motorfins. It wasnt a lot of oil, and my oil pressure and leval still looks good, but why would there be any oil on the new air intake mount?? could it be because its also acting as a crank case breather with the straight bolts going from the breather into the block with the holes in them, and im just getting a little bit of blowback?? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...and if possible, ill get a picture or two.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:56 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil on Airintake and motor fins??

ORIGINAL: ropd0184

Ok...lets see if I can explain this without pics since my bike isnt here right now.
I recently installes my Stage 1 Kit, with the screaming eagle air intake, PCIII, and V&H turndowns. Now im noticing that I have a small amount of oil residue on the actual airintake mount that goes up next to the motorblock. I also noticed some residue on the motorfins. It wasnt a lot of oil, and my oil pressure and leval still looks good, but why would there be any oil on the new air intake mount?? could it be because its also acting as a crank case breather with the straight bolts going from the breather into the block with the holes in them, and im just getting a little bit of blowback?? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...and if possible, ill get a picture or two.

Did you use the right crank case breather bolts ? they are not the same as the stock ones. check it out.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Superglide 04
Tourer

Do you change your own oil? If so, how much do you add. I had this problem with my superglide, until I read in the service manual to only add 3.5qts for oil change not 4qts. I havn't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, do not use Carquest oil filters....

Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Your crancase vent is leaking. Wrong bolts possibly, never installed one of them backing platesbut I used high temp silicone real thin around my vent tube bolts andplastic washersto assure no leaks. Running low on oil is really just masking the problem.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Superglide 04
Tourer

ORIGINAL: CREEPSHOW

Your crancase vent is leaking. Wrong bolts possibly, never installed one of them backing platesbut I used high temp silicone real thin around my vent tube bolts andplastic washersto assure no leaks. Running low on oil is really just masking the problem.
3.5 qts is what the manual states to add for a oil change, 4 qts for a full engine teardown.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Superglide 04

3.5 qts is what the manual states to add for a oil change, 4 qts for a full engine teardown.
Hey superglide 04, you are correct, didn't mean to sound as if you where doing anything wrong, I didn't word it right. Just didn't want ropd0184 to think that running less oil would fix the problem, ya know? It is possible he overfilled and even if he did and the engine blows by the some oil that is drawn out threw the crancase vent it still shouldn't leak at the head.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Superglide 04
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Superglide 04

Hey superglide 04, you are correct, didn't mean to sound as if you where doing anything wrong, I didn't word it right. Just didn't want ropd0184 to think that running less oil would fix the problem, ya know? It is possible he overfilled and even if he did and the engine blows by the some oil that is drawn out threw the crancase vent it still shouldn't leak at the head.
Not a big deal, just put it out there for those that don't know not to add 4qts for oil change. My superglide with silver motor, oil on the motor doesn't look good, and sucks too clean.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
ropd0184
Cruiser

Well..thanks for all the possible suggestions...i used the aftermarket bolts that the SE Airintake came with...so i would think that the bolts are the right ones (you NEVER KNOW though lol). I havent changed the oil out myself yet...dealer did the 1000 mile service for me back in January..have 3800 miles on it now. I had not noticed this problem before...i did not use any kind of sealant or locktite or anything like that on the new vent bolts, so maybe that is it. I guess im just gonna have to break it apart and takea look inside. Maybe whenI do ill send some pics. Hope I can figure it out! THANKS GUYS!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

As suggested above, make sure the crankcase bolts are tight. Also, check and see if oil is discharging from the K&N filter. There's a chance the new filterwas over-oiled. I'd wipe the oil away, go for a ride and stop periodically to check for the source of the leak.

Quick Reply: Oil on Airintake and motor fins??