Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe Shifter Loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Toe Shifter Loose

I have tightened the toe shifter to the point of woorying about stripping or breaking something. As soon as I go for a ride it begins to rattle. I got stuck on the raod the other day when it slipped so bad that it just went down. I looked at the shaft and the inner shift ridges look OK but the diameter is smaller than the outter. I need to replace that shaft; the one in the primary housing and probably the toe arm. Has anyone done that. Is it pressed in or can I replace it myself.

Thanks for any comments,

Bob

Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Toe Shifter Loose

Once you unbolt the inner arm from the shaft it will slide right out from the outer side. There is a bushing pressed into the primary but it stays in place. When you replace the shaft add a little anti-seize lube to the shaft.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RG did that recentlyand I had to replace the toe shift lever and the shaft too! Also check the arm on the inboard end of the shifter shaft....mine cracked while riding with the better half & would not shift at all when that happened.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

Sounds like ya stomp on the shifter pretty hard when down shifting with the toe shifter.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: AtkRWC

Once you unbolt the inner arm from the shaft it will slide right out from the outer side. There is a bushing pressed into the primary but it stays in place. When you replace the shaft add a little anti-seize lube to the shaft.
Thanks!

The inner spline is smaller than the outer so it's best to just replace.

I looked in my Parts Manual and ordered the shaft and new shift arms from Zanotti. Less than $50 delivered. I'll change them out this weekend.

Bob

Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good move replacing the shifter too.

There was a problem where a bunch of shifter had chrome in the splines and it caused them to never tighten up properly. By your decription, it sounds like you have one like that...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

not to difficult to change-out the front levers and arm..i used blue loctite on allen bolt..take a look at the arm at the transmission end at regular intervals..make sure it is snug also..if the trans. arm gets loose it grinds the shaft down and then slips..the trans. arm one is a pain to change.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Will the arm on tranny come off without taking inner primary off ? Mine is getting sloppy and doesnt look like an easy change.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the whole shaft slide out riding near Sturgis last year. luckily everything landed on the floorboard and I held it with my boot.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

in reply to pappashelby:
no.. the arm on the trans. requires a lot of work and removal of primary assembly...once a decision is made to do it..consider replacement of every gasket and rubber seal piece near it..double check with other forum members and make a list of EVERYTHING near it that may be do for replacement..the parts cost are good..the labor sucks..
on the other hand the front arm by the floor board is a piece of cake..

Quick Reply: Toe Shifter Loose