Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

things a service writer hears

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
newrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default things a service writer hears

Ok guys remember there is always two sides to every story, as a manager in the service department I hear a lot of interesting comments to the service writers.
Im going to share some of them that I have heard over the years.

"When I pull my ultra out of thr garage my engine temp gauge (you know the outside air temp gauge in the fairing) goes right up" is this under warranty?
" my outside air temp gauge isnt right because the local banks time & temp clock says something different" can you warranty it??
" what do you mean you cant install the wal-mart oil and fram oil filter on my 2008 dyna"
" my roadking "lugs" at 40 mph in 6th gear, I want Harleys number"
" why does my 95" softail with high perfomance cams & heads get less fuel milage than my friends stock bike?"
" my brother in law works on outbord motors and he says my motor shouldn't have ANY valvetrain noise at all"
" I paid $10.000 for this sporster you should give me free services"
" what do you mean I need a new rear tire it has only been 10,000 miles, I can go longer than that with my car"
" my friend Timmy works out of his moms garage and can do a complete service for half the money as you guys, you guys are stealers!!!!"
" my handlebars wobble when I take my hands off them at 65 mph, you need to call Harley"
" can I borrow some tools and a manual? ,you guys are a rip off!!"
" I dont need no new air cleaner, I just had that put in before I went to sturgis (of last year) you trying to sell me something I dont need?"
"when harley goes out of business, you all will be kissing my a**"
" what do you mean the belt on my 2003 ultra is not under warranty , I will never buy a bike here again"
" the motor shakes in my rubber mounted Dyna, you need to call Harley"
" the windshield on my streetglide is to short, why should I have to pay for the taller one?"
" my indy installed a set of gear driven cams now the I hear a noise in the cam area ,you have to warranty it"
" why do I have to run super unleaded gas? You guys are in with the oil companies"
"I live in the same town as the owner I should get a discount"
" what do you mean the tech I want is at a school for a week!! ,I need to talk to him now!!"
" my bike "pops" with dragpipes and high flow air cleaner with no fuel management, my friend that installed them says it shouldn't"
" how can you justify $80.00 an hour when the indy down the road gets $75.00"
" a rock hit my fender, you should be able to warranty it right?"
" I lowered my bike now it rides different, your parts dept stinks"
" you charged me this much for a service? even thogh I signed the work order agreeing to the price Im going to trash you on some forum when I get home"
"where are my take off parts? It has only been two years"
"that rusted dent in my front fender was not there when I dropped it of this morning"
" I had a full tank, after you did the oil change Im on empty"
" I shouldn't need front brake bads I never use them"
" dont lube my cables! they will collect dust afterwards"
" what do you mean you cant "plug" that hole in my tire wal-mart service center will"
" I should get a discount on labor because all my friends buy there bikes here"
" when I touch the brake my criuse stops working, my uncle Bill says that is not normal"
"what do you mean I have to pay for a peformance download ( harley bills the dealership), it only takes you 2 minutes. stealer!!"
" my 21" front wheel has a dent in it and now the bike shakes, It was like that when I bought it last summer. you guys are going to pay!!"
" my friends FLH gets 2 more miles per gallon than me ,you guys sold me a lemon"
" my goldwing never had this problem"
"I belong to the H.O.G I shouldn't pay what everybody else does"
"I spent $20.000 here and you cant bump me ahead of the other guy?"
" I didn't get that nail in my tire from anywhere I have riden, It must have been in your parking lot"

I agree cutomer service is bad in a lot of places but sometimes it is the customers are as well.
I wanted to share some of these comments just for fun not to cause any problems so please keep a open mind.

ride safe

NEWRENCH

Last edited by newrench; 08-19-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job, There are some people out there on bikes that have problems generating enough brain energy to move their lips, let alone ride a bike

Savannah HD...never had a problem there. But yes I do my own work.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
clayguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's probably only the "tip of the iceburg". Customers are just like dealerships, some good, some bad.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happens more often than mentioned on here. I have overheard some of those while at the dealer. Very funny and true.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Hilarious and pretty much spot on! LOL!!!

Originally Posted by newrench
my roadking "lugs" at 40 mph in 6th gear, I want Harleys number"
You don't here the old timers complaint about this. I work with an old 1%'er and he laughs his azz off at customers that come in and complain related to lugging a Harley. He's brutal to them. Too funny.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Colbridge
Intermediate

I give you credit. There is no way I would be able to control myself. I am in IT and have to deal with my fair share of STUPID people as well. I tell them the truth and hope the honesty and explanation will keep them from making the same mistakes over and over again.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
newrench
Cruiser

I have been to a few bad dealers myself so I do know how everbody feels who has had a bad experiance. Riders have changed over the years and some dealers have not adapted to there needs. Either way we all have something in common and that is we all ride the greatest motorcycle in the world HARLEY DAVIDSON.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser

There are always three sides to the story. Yours, theirs and the truth!

I'm amazed daily at the stupidity of people. I'm surrounded by stupid people. It is a darn shame they can't teach common sense in schools.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try aviation, there is also some people I would not let fix my 10 speed bicycle let alone an aircraft.

"iggnorance is the most exspensive form of training"

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Born2Glide
Road Master

Funny stuff newwrench,
It is amazing to me how stupid people can be and the dumb stuff they will say to try to get something for free.

Quick Reply: things a service writer hears