Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king upgrade to Reinharts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
rsanclemente
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king upgrade to Reinharts

I just purchased my second Harley, a touring bike to compliment my Deuce. Unfortunately, it still has the stock pipes....aaaarrrrgh. So I ordered some Reinhart True Duals. While talking to friends and different prospective installers I've gotten different stories as to what is necessary for me to have these pipes installed. One person tells me that all I have to do is upgrade my air cleaner to a Screaming Eagle Stage One kit then have the bike remapped to make it run properly. However, the dealership and another local mechanic says I need to buy a new ECM and have the bike dyno'd to have it run properly. I'm not looking to make it "super custom". Just have it sound better than the Honda-Davidson sound that comes from the factory. The ECM recommended is another 450.00 bucks plus install and 5 hrs of Harley labor at 85 bucks an hour. I've invested several grand in purchase of bike and pipes at this point. Is there something that I can do to install the Reinharts for now without the dyno and ECM to get by until I can afford the other????

Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately with the Rineharts you will need a fuel management system (I prefer the TTS system, it's a complete ECM) and air cleaner upgrade (I prefer K&N) and possibly a dyno tune.

Don't waste your money on the Harley stage 1 upgrade, it does nothing for the fuel management, only advances the timing and raises the RPM to 6200.

The tru-duals kill the low end and Rineharts really open up the exhaust, and with very little back pressure you have to compensate with a fuel management and dyno tune.

I would suggest contacting Fuel Moto and discuss your options. They are a wealth of information and specialize in exhaust and fuel management systems.

www.fuelmotousa.com

Good Luck.

Last edited by SteveO; 09-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
KUkingclassic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true. I just put Reinhart true duals on my new 2011 ultra limited. The dealership put on a higher flow breather and a download. I am adding the race tuner in the winter with the dyno. Call Brian at Gails Harley in KC and he can answer all your questions. He helped me through all of this. I LOVE these pipes. The sound is awesome. HP is better. Know your options. -Win.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A DFO/TFI will do what you want

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

If you are just changing the pipes, you really don't have to do anything else. The O2 sensors will make the minor changes necessary. You only really need to worry about tuning if you change the airflow into the engine. With the same air cleaner, the flow out of the engine hasn't changed other than it's now it's a little less restricted.

Having said that, you'll get the best results in performance by changing the air cleaner as well and having a proper tune. The bike will run better, cooler, and less restricted. That's why everyone tells you to get it tuned.

If your only looking for better sound, just change the pipes and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Rineharts on my 05 RKC with Big Sucker A/C and HD map download. About burned the vales out and had to get SE Race Tuner. I now have a 2010 EGC with Rineharts Extreme TD, Big Sucker and PC V from Fuelmoto. Once I put the PC on with Jamie's map it runs better than my RK did after dyno'd. FM has it pretty darn close when it comes to your door. Without the fuel management the larger headers will be running too lean.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
The tru-duals kill the low end
Maybe on a dyno chart, but your *** dyno won't know the difference.

My Road King went from stock, to a hi flow air cleaner and true dual pipes with a Fuel Pak and made a huge *** dyno improvement.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

True Duals definitely killed my low end and mid range throttle response...I had to add a DFO on top of the Stage I download, plus put in some home made lollipop baffles to get back most of what I lost. It runs good now, though.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by rsanclemente
I just purchased my second Harley, a touring bike to compliment my Deuce. Unfortunately, it still has the stock pipes....aaaarrrrgh. So I ordered some Reinhart True Duals. While talking to friends and different prospective installers I've gotten different stories as to what is necessary for me to have these pipes installed. One person tells me that all I have to do is upgrade my air cleaner to a Screaming Eagle Stage One kit then have the bike remapped to make it run properly. However, the dealership and another local mechanic says I need to buy a new ECM and have the bike dyno'd to have it run properly. I'm not looking to make it "super custom". Just have it sound better than the Honda-Davidson sound that comes from the factory. The ECM recommended is another 450.00 bucks plus install and 5 hrs of Harley labor at 85 bucks an hour. I've invested several grand in purchase of bike and pipes at this point. Is there something that I can do to install the Reinharts for now without the dyno and ECM to get by until I can afford the other????
I know what you mean by the Honda-Davidson sound, just told the old lady that. So I did A LOT of homework on this subject, A LOT, over the past year. If you just do the Rinehart exhaust, the o2 sensors and your ECM will adjust for the mod, but your bike already runs lean,(thank the EPA), which in turn puts out a lot of heat, and probably blue those new pipes, but you can still ride. If you add the exhaust and a new a/c, the bike will run even more leaner w/o a fuel management system. A fuel management system, along with what I mentioned, will improve your overall setup and your bike will run cool,(only if the tuning is done correctly though!). In saying that, this is your Stage 1 when complete.
You can do one or the other,(pipes or a/c), but not both w/o a tuner. Personally, I wouldn't do anything until you had all three ready to go. I just got Rinehart true duals, a tts mastertune, and a Doherty PowerPacc a/c for my 09 RKC. Haven't installed anything because I'm waiting for the PowerPacc. Just reading and understanding the tts manual so I will be ready to go. That was through my homework.
I'm not a master mechanic or anything like that, so if I'm wrong go ahead and correct me, cause I want to make sure I have it right. That's my 2 cents.
Ride on and ride safe!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

buy an air cleaner , true duals and a tuner from Fuelmoto , they should install a map in the tuner for you

then install it all yourself . there's no rocket science involved if the tuner map is done . save big bucks in labor and learn more about your bike

Quick Reply: road king upgrade to Reinharts