Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions 09's

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
C Clamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions 09's

Hesitant to start a new thread on this but would like others input. Well I made the "mistake" of going for a ride to the Dealer yesterday for a free hot dog off the grill and a drink. Looked at the 09 Ultra's, in speaking to the salesman, I asked "whats mine worth". Figuring a good beating was sure to ensue. As soon as he came back with the information my wife knew the wheels were turning. Offered me 700 less than I paid for it in May, which actually when it comes to the sales tax part of the sale, I am getting almost 100.00 more than I paid, less the sales tax of the original purchase. So in essence still 7-8 hundred less. Here is the dilemma. The new ones are too tall, and right off the start I would have to lower it or have it lowered. The salesman said go with the front and rear kits. The front he said takes 6 hrs to install, I didn't get a price from him on the actual cost of the lowering. I can change out the rear shocks, but really don't want to tear into the front myself. I plan on going up this week to take a new one for a ride. I currently have a 04, EGC, which has a lowering kit on it, with the reach seat and almost 16K miles on it now. I might add that it fits me great, knees slightly bent and flat footed. Would there be any large benefit from doing the front also? I am looking at about needing this dropped about an inch to be flat footed. I don't believe it will be as low as mine currently. Has anyone lowered the rear and how low can they go on the 09's with out bottoming issues? I checked Progressives site and see that stock they are 13" and can go down to 11.5". I also see that the HD shorter air shocks are stock on the 09 FLHX and FLHTRSE's. I figure I would sit on one of these to see the difference. I haven't decided on exact color yet but leaning towards the White Gold Pearl and Pewter with ABS and security. Of course riding one will be a major deciding factor, but mine is paid for, low mileage, fits great, and does get 47 mpg set up the way it is. Which there are a few mods I was planning on doing if it stays with me. vs. A new one, payments, having to lower it, possibly a new seat and definitely a new drivers backrest. I may take a ride to another dealer today to see what they may give me on mine for a new one. What befuddles me is the "non beating" on my trade. I really, really thought I would take a "beating", go home and decide to keep mine. I didn't and that has caused the confusion. I guess I did get a good deal on mine. I thought maybe taking "pen to paper" may help me with the decision but, I am still confused, thanks for any suggestions from the group. Everyone have a great holiday.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:27 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To be clear. You are not confused...just having a hard time rationalizing a new purchase.....monthly payments and additional cost just to dial the bike in so you can ride it. Sounds like you already know what the right decision is. Maybe you should go for a nice long ride on your existing bike to renew your vows. If you're compelled, buy her some something sparkley just to show how much you still care.

Your bike looks great!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I've read before here. Don't ride the 09's unless you plan to buy one, cause once you do, you're hooked. Think about it.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
fedexway
2nd Gear

Well for me if my old bike fit me well and its payed for it would be hard for me to give her up. But on the other hand if I wanted to update and had the money to spend I might would make the swap. Lowering that bike is gona be pricey 80 bucks or so on the labor at the shops around me anyway. I would think about waiting for the 2010's also, let them work any bugs out that they may have with the 09's. Just my 2cents

Old 08-31-2008, 02:11 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

C Clamp,
Just my opinion, but:

It doesn't appear that you ride all that much, and since your '04 is already dialed in...I think it would make more sense (right now) to hold off until your bike has more miles and you are more 'interested' in the newer model. Yes, the '09' bikes have a lot of updates/upgrades compared to your current bike, but it may be in your best interest to hold off.

If you do want to proceed with an '09, here is what the lowering task will cost:

1) Rear Lowering Kit will run $280 (rear)
2) Front Lower Kit will run $150 (front)
3) PLUS labor.

The "Reach" Seat will run you $300 and you can do the install yourself.

Good luck on this tough decision!

Last edited by KoalaCowboy; 08-31-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: mispelled word, lousy grammar
Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

You have a nice bike. Ride it. I liked the part about buying her something sparkly to renew vows.

spiz

Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Get the 09

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 will be here this week. They are a little taller but it is because of a wider seat. I am sending mine to mean city. Anywhere from 40 bucks to 400 according to what yoou want

Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahhh.... nothing like that "new bike smell"! The last three years have seen such tremendous improvements in the touring models that it would be difficult to resist a trade. Sure, the lowered suspension will add over a thousand dollars to the purchase price, but is only a five percent increase given that the bike will cost you $20k anyway. Ask your dealer to put some numbers on paper so that you can see the exact total cost, set up the way you want it, and make your decision from there. Be creative, like asking him to swap out the seats at no additional cost, pay for your first scheduled maintenance, etc. and that will lower the cost of your additions. It sounds like a pretty good deal to me...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like you said bro PAID FOR! keep the 04 and enjoy riding without the bank as a passenger!

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions 09's