Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more rear shock oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up One more rear shock oil change

After searching several threads, reading some really informative post, and getting all the parts together, I decided to attempt this feat myself. Not really as bad as I thought, just a little time consuming since I did not have a press or a lathe or any other easy tool to compress the shock with.

First, I bought a quart of BelRay 10 wt shock oil due to availability and most theads I read that used the 7.5 wt stated they probably should have used the 10 wt after all. Next, I purchsed a "barb" type brass fitting that would screw in to the 1/8" pipe threads where the air hose line connection screws into the shock.

Jack up your scoot, just clear the rear wheel. Push in on the red plastic fitting where the air hose connects to the shock and pull out on the hose. This will let the hose come loose from the fitting. Unbolt the top and bottom shock bolts and remove the hose connection from the shock.

Screw in the hose barb fitting where the hose connection scewed out. I used a "miti vac" at this point. Most parts stores have them, they are a good tool to own. Like I stated before, I did not have a lathe or press to compress the shock with, but I did have a large pipe clamp used in woodworking. I clamped the pipe in my bench vise horizontally, then layed the shock in the clamp and used radiator hose clamps to secure the shock to the pipe part of the pipe clamp. Clamping the shock to the pipe vise will keep the shock from moving. Before you compress the shock, hook the miti-vac tube onto the barb fitting screwed into the shock and pump up the pressure on it. Then, turn the clamp on the pipe clamp and compressed the shock. I did this several times until nothing else came out.

After the shock was empty, I stood the clamp mechanism with shock attached via the hose clamps to the vertical position. I filled my miti-vac canister full of fresh fluid (4 0z at a time) and pumped it up. I had the shock in the compressed position at this point. Once the MitiVac pump has vacuum on it, trip the release on it, and the fluid will flow into the shock. I unscrewed the clamp releasing the pressure on the shock , pumped the air out of the shock by compressing and releasing the shock until nothing but fluid was present. This took probably 5 times of clamping and releasing. I put about 9oz of fluid back in the shocks. I declared the job complete. Do the other side

One of my shocks had 6 oz and the other had 6.5 oz of fluid in them. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be 11.5 oz or so. About 9oz is all I could get back into my shocks.

I put everything back together took a short test ride over the road that gives me the most jarring every day when I have to go down it. While I wouldn't declare this a complete success at this point, it was about a 200% improvment over what I had before. I will have to do a bit more riding before I can delcare this a complete success. Cheap enough to do at a cost of less than $15, about 2 hours worth of work, and hopefully a successful end result over what I had.

If I were to do this on a regular basis, I could see where it could be done in about an hour with the proper set up. Really not a big deal at all....PACO

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I did mine about 6 months ago, and it really made a nice improvement.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

according to the race shop i emailed the shocks need 350 ml of fluid. at 9 oz. you have approx 266 ml. if you compress the shock in the upright position you should be able to squeeze all the fluid in the shock . then release the shock i had no problem getting a full 350 in my 12" shocks with a ketchup bottle and clear tube. by using this method you eliminate any air in the system while filling.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

so basically you take the shocks off, flip them upside down and compress to get the oil out, then flip them upright, uncompress and fill w/350ml of 10wt shock (not fork) oil?...i think i can handle that one

Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must you compress the shock to get the oil out? I can see that it may be faster, but if you were to just let the oil drain out, would that not work? I have been planning on doing this, but after ready the way it was done, I do not have anything to compress the shock.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

not to be funny but how "tight" is the shock, meaning couldn't someone just place it on the ground and step on it?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
wtkpga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, thanks for the write up.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
chateau
Cruiser

Yes you could maybe put it on the ground and press it down if you are 300lbs.
and can do a hand stand on it for 3 minutes.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we can compress the shocks to get the oil out, then we should be able to use alternatively vacuum and air to collect the oil over a longer period of time when the shocks are kept upside down. An old soda bottle could be a good reservoir if fitted with a latex plug having two copper pipes running through it, one connected to the pump and the other connected to the shock. The thick glass bottle collects the liquid by gravity while the air is pumped out via the adjacent tube.
Once the shocks are upright and filled with new oil, applying vacuum will get all the air out of the dead volume below the piston. I've never done this on a shock absorber but its common practice in certain labs
An aquarium pump can run 'dry' all day and would be sufficient for this application.

Last edited by Expat1; 01-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

iT TOOK ME ABOUT 6 HOURS ON A 12" SHOCK TO GET THE OIL OUT AND PUT NEW OIL IN ? i CAN NOT TELL YOU WHAT WAS WORSE the emptying or filling. But I did it with no special tools just turned it over and over again to pour out the oil and used an old diabetic needle to fill it with 10oz of 10 wt oil. I do not think I will do it again without a tool to make it go REAL fast , LOL!!