Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
JaxGlide
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing Conundrum

<1st post..forgive the length!>

Never having owned a H-D before (have been riding for 25 years though), I believe I am finally about to fight off my common sense (regarding laying out the cash, at least)...and jump in to the fray.

I'm looking to get a FLHTCU (was waiting until the '09s were announced a month or so ago before I decided to get totally serious about pursuing a purchase to see what was going to change).

Since those models have been released, I have read everything I could find (rider reviews and any other bits of info I could find) regarding the new frame, rear tire size, re-routed exhaust etc. At first, I thought I could only consider an '09 once I started seeing the results coming in.

Not ever wanting to make an impulse buy decision (with this much cash at stake anyway)...I have held off to continue considering all options. Now, as I have stepped back from the almost irresistible force of "want"....I am looking at some of my other choices.

One thing that has allowed me to hold off my decision is simply the availability of '09 Ultras appears to be very slim. The local dealers had not yet been able to even have one on the showroom floor through last weekend.

Here is the crux of my question:

After reading almost ALL of the sources regarding '08 vs '09 type threads and basically '09 vs any previous year model...I'm considering another possibility. It appears that there are a significant number of '08s still out there that H-D obviously would like to unload before taking up floorspace with the '09s.

What I might consider doing is going for an '08 where I might have a bit of "wiggle-room" to deal (two dealers have already given me info that I will be looking at $4K to $5K MORE for a '09 and they won't budge an inch if that is the path I choose). If I did get an '08, and from everything I have read, I would probably look at getting a stabilizer for the frame/engine, go ahead and get some heat shields (perhaps RJOriginals)....new AC, Stage 1 and pipes/slipons hopefully to reduce the dreaded extra heat. Not saying that to begin any debate...while I know it is an air-cooled engine that we are sitting on that does, indeed, put out heat..I simply want to ensure that I have it as "normal" as possible for rider comfort considering what some owners have stated).

Does anyone have any feedback or opinion that, if I did this with a new '08, that I would be able to basically "equalize" the benefits of alternatively going ahead and getting an '09 for a substantial cost increase?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

My opinion?? Go for a new 2009 model, no ifs ands or buts.
Keep shopping dealers as I just went through this same thing, with dealers quoting me full boat list and top dollar for the 09 until I found the right dealer who did discount nicely for me. They were glad to take my order and I was glad I found them. What State are you in? Anywhere near NJ?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the 09. Buy the bike you want, the year you want, and the color you want. If it takes till Christmas before you find your bike, so be it. I went to my local dealer, told him the exact bike I wanted, [they didn't have it, neither did others close by] the color, and how I wanted it equipped. Ten days later I rode it home.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my input. Show me the money! I am expecting my new 09 ultra in any day now. Having told you that, I am perfectly happy with my 06 RK, got it modified perfectly for me. I am switching not because of the changes or for a newer bike. I am switching back to an ultra after being a previous ultra owner and my purchase just happens to be an 09
wife is most of the reason I'm going back. You would probably be just as happy with the 08, but from the kind of analytical mind you seem to have, you have to ask yourself, will it always be in the back of my mind "I wish I had gotten the 09", it would affect me that way.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

If you really want the '09, tell the dealer(s) exactly what you want and that you are ready to buy at no more than MSRP. They can go onto their network and probably find it and if not, they can order it. Might take a while if they have to order, but the wait would be worth it if that's what you are dead set on. If an '09 is not mandatory with you, you're right, there are several new '08's around on showroom floors that dealers want to move and most are anxious to negotiate. Check out several H-D dealer websites. Most have their bikes listed and you might find what you want. In any event, don't buy something you wouldn't be totally satisfied with for many many miles.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member

Buy 09, no more than MSRP.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same decision to make a while back and went with the 08. I saved enough $ to do the Rheinharts true duals, Removal tourpack, SERT and Dyno, ect. over the price of the 09.
And I don't regret it. I am liking my 08.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM
FLHTC10
Intermediate

regarding the title of your post--purchasing conundrum-- you should be able to get all you use here at absolutely no charge.

But seriously, since you appear to be fully aware of the advantages of the 09's, I think you are going to wind up being disappointed if you settle for an 08. I was in a similar situation: Before the 09's were announced, I was planning to wait until the new bikes were out and get a reasonable deal on a leftover. When I learned about the changes, there was no way I was not going to get an 09. The 08's are great bikes but there are just too many improvements in the 09's. I am waiting on FLHTC now.

Order a new bike and get the color and features you want.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

In all honesty, I would ride both before you decide, also get the ABS either way.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 PM
roadkingdoc
Cruiser

my 09 electra glide is a nice bike. i was riding an 03 classic. the trueduals on on the 03 seem to reduce some heat on my legs. the 09 does a better job of this. the bigger rear tire is appealing and the bike does handle (in my op) a little better. i like the new bike but i dont think there is a tremendous diff between it and my old bike. i think harley and the sales people,no suprise! would like to make you think the new bike has no equal. i think i ttwould make good sense to buy a discounted 08,i you find one you really like and spent the extra $ on some performance or bling! harley gets you either way!! lol!!

Quick Reply: Purchasing Conundrum