Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Breather Lesson Learned and FYI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Breather Lesson Learned and FYI

I installed my Heavy Breather kit on Friday and left for a ride today. The point worth noting is that I replaced my Stage 1 High Flow air cleaner kit with the Heavy Breather Kit.

So I left for the ride and shortly noticed I had a nice white cloud of smoke coming from both tail pipes. In addition, my oil gauge was pegged around 60 psi.

After taking a quick detour to the Harley shop, the service advisor said they had seen this before with the Heavy Breather kits. The issue was that you have to use the breather bolts from the stock air cleaner. The breather bolts from the Stage 1 High Flow kit will not work, as the air is not allowed in with the heavy breather setup.

The service advisor proceeded to provide me with the correct bolts. I drove the 2 miles home and replaced them. When I loosened the current setup there was a ton of pressure released from the breather bolt. It was evident that this wouldn't have been good for much longer.

Summary: Be sure you use the stock air cleaner breather bolts, and not the one's from a high flow kit.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Altough I'm not in the market for this type of air cleaner, I do have the SE Stage one kit. So I'd have appreciated this tip very, very much.

This sounds like it might be qualified as a 'Sticky'. Maybe?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks sticky to me! Great find!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, I too am not using the HB but the SE stage 1 w/ Zippers filter upgrade but this is good to know.

You helped others with this post-Thank you for the good info.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 AM
choptop
Cruiser
Default Breather bolts

Bought a '90 flt w/127 Ultima, had a lot of issues w/it , wasn't familiar w/breather head bolts having come off a metric, replaced them w/regular bolts and was blowing oil filler plug, seal between engine and primary, was not a good thing till I figured it out. Live and learn and hopefully not screw bike up to bad in process

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I follow.......dealer did my Stage 1 breather (do mods myself but was new to HD and had this done at purchase). So could this be a concern with mine? Have 5k miles on her without noting any problems I would associate with this. Now some slight decel pop even though dealer did Stage 1 air, map and Rush mufflers....that's another story!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 AM
phantom rider
Tourer

Good to know.... I have the heavy breather sitting on the counter and I am about to slap that thing on, just waiting on TTS.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM
fatboy4447
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ddwyer
I installed my Heavy Breather kit on Friday and left for a ride today. The point worth noting is that I replaced my Stage 1 High Flow air cleaner kit with the Heavy Breather Kit.

So I left for the ride and shortly noticed I had a nice white cloud of smoke coming from both tail pipes. In addition, my oil gauge was pegged around 60 psi.

After taking a quick detour to the Harley shop, the service advisor said they had seen this before with the Heavy Breather kits. The issue was that you have to use the breather bolts from the stock air cleaner. The breather bolts from the Stage 1 High Flow kit will not work, as the air is not allowed in with the heavy breather setup.

The service advisor proceeded to provide me with the correct bolts. I drove the 2 miles home and replaced them. When I loosened the current setup there was a ton of pressure released from the breather bolt. It was evident that this wouldn't have been good for much longer.

Summary: Be sure you use the stock air cleaner breather bolts, and not the one's from a high flow kit.
very good to know....hey let us know how you like the heavy breather?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:40 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Not sure I follow.......dealer did my Stage 1 breather (do mods myself but was new to HD and had this done at purchase). So could this be a concern with mine? Have 5k miles on her without noting any problems I would associate with this. Now some slight decel pop even though dealer did Stage 1 air, map and Rush mufflers....that's another story!

No concern. you shouldn't have a problem after 5000 miles with what the dealer did to change it to stage 1. This is something that happens right away. Now if you go back to a stock set up or to the heavy breather you Must use the Stock Bolts. The dealer changed the stock ones to the ones used in your high flow set up.
Your right the popping is another story, could be a lot of things from a slight exhaust leak to needing a remap.

And I know that you know how I know all this. Experience is good teacher, that and getting oil all over your rear tire at 70 miles per hour.

Ride Safe

Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

great post...

Quick Reply: Heavy Breather Lesson Learned and FYI