Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico V. Allstate - what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geico V. Allstate - what are your thoughts?

OK All...I have received a letter from AllState that says they can lower My insurance by 40%...I called...got quoted...they're saving me $400 for sure!

Does anyone have experience with Allstate? What are your thoughts?

Ride safe, Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

No experience, but Allstate has been around forever. 400 bucks savings, same or better coverage, I'd probably go for it.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I shopped Insurance for the bike back in September, Allstate was $500 higher then Progressive. Agent shook her head and couldn't belive it. Item by item comparison was done and then I showed her the full page ad that Allstate was placing in biker magazines. She agreed that is a waste of money.

Maybe Allstate changed their tune?

THE NEW GEICO COMMERCIALS SUC* BY THE WAY. SOME AD AGENCY SOLD GEICO A BILL OF GOODS ON THAT ONE HUH? THE CAVEMAN CAMPAIGN WENT BAD AS SOON AS THEY MADE A TV SHOW OUT OF IT.

Last edited by RODEO; 03-10-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd go for it. Allstate is a well known old company.
Last year I switched from Progressive to Foremost and saved over $400.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the coverage is equal save the $400.00!

I'd even call a couple more to be sure. If Geico would pay the green little fellow less, they might be able to lower their rates! LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Heathen
Tourer

Got bike & cars with Allstate..Bike premium went down when cars were added.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

I got the same Allstate thing in the mail as well. Premium prices are one important thing, but it would be nice to hear from someone here who has had to file a major claim with either of these companies. That is where the true cost comes into play.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an accident on my 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide. Only 25 mph but I hit the right rear corner of a box van so it pretty much wiped out the fairing and all paint on both sides (it fell over on the left, after the impact).

I was in the hospital for a couple months......titanium in my left jaw, left arm, left hip and left leg (damn it hurt!). About the 3rd day in there I got a call from my agent saying "we got an estimate from the dealership and we've authorized it for repair. I'm taking a check down there this afternoon. They wanted to strip it and send it to The Frame Man but I explained that we couldn't accept that liability......that they'll need to replace the frame".

Allstate requires all repairs to be factory OEM parts (no take offs and in the event of cars and trucks......no parts made in Mexico or other countrys).

Eventually I got the bike back (long before I was out of the wheelchair). A year later I was able to get back on it. It was like brand new again......no stone chips in the fairing, front fender or leg fairings, etc. Eventually I was able to ride far enough that I was able to take it up in the mountains. Prior to the accident I had the rear steer issue slightly however, after the new frame (they cut the VIN number out of the old frame and sent it to the MoCo so the new frame could have the same VIN number), I didn't have that problem any more at all.

The bike now has over 48k miles and no issues. I've rode it from coast to coast (literally), Canada a couple times and Mexico once. Just no problems.

In short........I'm staying with Allstate, even if somebody else is cheaper!

By the way, they never did raise my rates for that accident even though it was my fault. A couple of years later I received a couple speeding tickets over a nine month period.....then they raised my rates. I just renewed, so both those tickets drop off the next renewal and I expect my rates to go back down.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Back in the late 80s'-early 90's Geico (Government Employees Insurance Corporation) treated motorcycles like a red headed stepchild and held the argument that we should pay more because of the inherent high number of injuries and fatalities related to riding motorcycles. Never mind that motorcycles made up less than .1% of street driven vehicles and the percentage of injury/death was less than 10% of that. Soured me on Geico for life. Besides, Allstate lets me "shut down" my coverage to fire and theft during the non-ridable months.
Progressive and Geico are the companies responsible for driving rates being tied to credit ratings - they started that crap. Never affected me but I've never understood how a good credit rating makes for a better driver - what a crock.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no personal experience with AllState but a $400 savings is a no-brainer (provided coverage/premiums stay the same vs. your current one).

Quick Reply: Geico V. Allstate - what are your thoughts?