Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower Fairings

What is the easiest way to remove the lower fairings on my Ultra Classic? I have never removed them so i just want to make sure i dont damage or scratch the paint.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

The easiest way is the only way. You don't mention what year your bike is but, if it's of recent vintage, there is one bolt down at the bottom and 2 or 3 (can't remember for sure) inside the glove box. Easy to remove.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

1. Remove glove box door flaps
  2. Reach into glove box and remove the 2 flange nuts from the clip studs and remove the fairing cap If needed, push the ends of the studs through the holes on the glove box tray and fairing lower to release the fairing cap..Top Section do not twist this part!
  3. Hold the locknut at the bottom of the fairing lower and tuurn inside T40 Torx screw to free the assembly from the engine guard clamp
  4. Same for other side
Place a drop cloth or towel on floor so that if you drop a section it will not get scratched.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can learn this and lots more in a factory workshop manual! Why do you want to take them off?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Cheeze
Tourer

My assumption is my legs will be cooler with them off during the warmer months...........where can i get a workshop manual?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by mccollde
My assumption is my legs will be cooler with them off during the warmer months...........where can i get a workshop manual?
That's a very good reason, although it is not warm enough over here at present!

You can get a manual at your local dealer, some dealers offer reduced prices on the internet, or you may get lucky and find a secondhand one on Ebay.

Some Harley dealers advertise on Ebay, which is an easy way of finding them, even if you don't 'do' Ebay! But if you put 'harley manual' into Ebay's search engine you will get around 700 of 'em. May be one there with your name on it....

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
steveultra08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the bolts out.....

Hey once you do get them off Harley makes a quick install hardware kit that makes them easier to take off and put on. I think Eglidegoodies may also have a quick install kit.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,968 Likes on 1,717 Posts

In all honesty I don't think it's worth the money to buy the quick detach hardware kit, but that's just my opinion. It doesn't take but a couple of minutes to take them off.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a different idea. I am going to buy a different bar, like a HD moustache or a Lindby. Then in warm weather I will simple unbolt the bar with the fairing lowers still attached and hang it on the wall. It is really simple compared to screwing with the lowers.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I had a different idea. I am going to buy a different bar, like a HD moustache or a Lindby. Then in warm weather I will simple unbolt the bar with the fairing lowers still attached and hang it on the wall. It is really simple compared to screwing with the lowers.
Let us know how that works out the first time you drop your bike in a parking lot.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairings