Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the car gps mount on the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the car gps mount on the windshield

I was just playing around in the garage with my Garmin GPS mount on my Street Glide. Anyone try using the car gps mount on the windshield of their bikes. Seems to stick pretty good.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't trust it..............

Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

It might, but you only get one failure if you know what I mean...
The other think to consider is your windshield vibrates a lot more than you realize... maybe its not so bad on a RG, but I'd never consider mounting my Zumo on my UC windshield. Just my two cents worth, but GPS's are just too durn expensive to gamble with.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't...

I went through about two Garmin mounts in one year and they melt easily due to spring / summer heat. Once they melt, they are forever useless. The second one, was much more careful with it, took it off alot more often and it too lasted about 5 months. Very expensive to replace. I finally bought a RAM mount and put the GPS on my SUVs center pull up emergency brake handle (handle bar type mount). There its easy to see (for me) but not easily visible to outsiders. Anyway, on a bike I think you definitely want something more substantial, unless you're only going around the block and back to your garage, in which case you don't need a GPS.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only use mine when I get close to a city that I don't know. I use the suction cup on my gas cap cover. I also bought a retractable 2 way plug from Radio Shack to go from the GPS to the aux plug on the stereo to get the vocal directions over the radio speakers.

Works great for the amount I use it and perfect for having a fairing that doesn't move on the RG. Other than that, I'd opt for the ball and ram connection for the handle bars. The windshield vibrates too much and it's harder to find the right angle.

If your not using an waterproof GPS, you can get around that with a ziplock sandwich bag.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
HB
Road Captain

I stick mine to the gas door on my ultra for now. I drilled a hole in the bracket and put a key ring in it. Then tied a string to the ring and dropped it inside the gas door and closed the lid. I also have one of those rubber bands that come on brocccoli attached to the ring then wrapped arond the bracket and GPS just in case it pops out of the bracket. May be on the paranoid side but I still have it. The next step will be a ram mount. I just hate to spend $40 bucks when this setup works. I was laid off in August and already spent way to much on upgrades this winter. Painted inner fairing, Hog pod, 4 hog tune speakers, sweeper bars, clutch cable, throttle cables, windsheild, 2 E 3's, and still need to do oil changes. PS don't let my wife know I got all this stuff. It came out of the harley fund but you know how that would fly.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't dare trust it. I've had my car mount come off while driving in the car. Better be safe with the bike mount than sorry trying to save a few bucks.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
I was just playing around in the garage with my Garmin GPS mount on my Street Glide. Anyone try using the car gps mount on the windshield of their bikes. Seems to stick pretty good.
You're kidding, right?

I've had car GPS units (both Garmin and Magellan models) come off the windshield and bounce around the car. Do yourself a favor and buy a proper mount. RAM mounts are relatively inexpensive and work well.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Smile

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order a Ram mount. You guys are right, I have had them fall off of my windshield and that can startle you.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 AM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior

That is just tempting fate. It will let go at some point.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the car gps mount on the windshield