Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Metzeler Rear Tire Won't Hold Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Metzeler Rear Tire Won't Hold Air

This is a long story, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. I bought a used 2005 EGC (see sig picture below) about 4 1/2 months ago from the local Harley dealer. The dealer had installed new Metzeler tires front and rear before selling the bike to me.

After a couple of months, I noticed that I couldn't keep air in the rear tire because it kept leaking out. I contacted the dealer numerous times about the problem. I have taken my bike back to him at least 4 times for this problem.

The dealer has removed the tire and remounted it twice..... also replaced the valve stem. It still leaked air badly....... about a pound of air per day and sometimes more.

Last week, the dealer put a new rear wheel on it thinking that perhaps the wheel casting was porous and leaking. That didn't help either.

Yesterday, the dealer put a brand new Metzeler tire on the new wheel and of course put a new valve stem in the tire. The Service Manager checked the tire with MY TIRE GAUGE yesterday before I left the dealership. It had 39 psi pressure using my gauge.

Today I checked the pressure in the rear tire and it read 35 psi. It had lost 4 psi overnight. I couldn't believe it so I got another tire gauge and checked it with it. This gauge read 34 1/2 pounds.

By the way, the front tire has never had the slightest problem with holding air and it is a Metzeler too. When I check the air in it, it reads a consistent 39 psi every time I check it.

I called the Service Manager and told him of the pressure reading this morning and he said that it was impossible because they had installed everything new on it (tire, wheel, and valve). I told him that I didn't see how it could be leaking air, but I had checked it at least a dozen times today with two different gauges and got 34 1/2 to 35 psi each time. That's a loss of 4 or more psi overnight.

Then I began reading about the problems some people are having with these Metzeler tires made in Brazil. My tires were made in Brazil. One of them (the front one) has performed perfectly. The rear tire has been nothing but a problem since I got it. Even the replacement NEW tire is a problem since it won't hold air either. That's two brand new Metzeler tires on two different wheels that have been on the rear of my bike and neither one of them will hold air.

I'm about ready to tell the dealer to remove the Metzeler tires and put some Dunlop tires on there. Maybe the reason some people are having blowouts with Metzeler tires is because some of them won't hold air.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If feasible, leave the bike overnight at the dealer so that the service manger will see for himself the problem you're having. Best of luck.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by kromdom
If feasible, leave the bike overnight at the dealer so that the service manger will see for himself the problem you're having. Best of luck.
Yep, I already did that a few weeks ago. In fact, they kept the bike two nights. I think they suspected that I was letting air out of the tire.

However, I haven't left it overnight since they put the new wheel and new tire on the bike. I'll probably have to do that just to prove to them that this one is leaking too.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

weird, curious to learn what the problem is. maybe the dealer is full of bs and only said he replaced parts

Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing? What does Metzeler say? I've found them to be helpful on the phone when I called them about tire specs.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
Yep, I already did that a few weeks ago. In fact, they kept the bike two nights. I think they suspected that I was letting air out of the tire.

However, I haven't left it overnight since they put the new wheel and new tire on the bike. I'll probably have to do that just to prove to them that this one is leaking too.

Thanks for your suggestion.

you have to be awful pissed at your self to let the air out of your own tires I have metzlers on my bike and i prolly need to check the air again but I did it about a month ago for the first time while setting all winter and they were low but I dont suspect anything like yours..

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run Metzler's for years and never had a problem..........I would really like to know why you are having such a issue.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
geo361
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your valve stem to see if it's leaking? I had a similar problem some time ago and checked the valve stem with some soapy water. Sure enough it was leaking from inside the stem You can pick up a stem tool at any auto parts store for around $3.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by leohd
weird, curious to learn what the problem is. maybe the dealer is full of bs and only said he replaced parts
I was there at the dealership when he replaced the wheel and then again when he replaced the tire. I know that they had the bike in the service area both times and had the rear wheel removed from the bike. I could see into the service area, but didn't walk back there since the area is off limits to customers.

I didn't actually see the old wheel being removed and the new one being installed, but I'm almost certain they did so.

Yesterday, when they installed the new tire, I saw them take the bike out for a test ride after installing the new tire and I could see the blue coating on the whitewall. Also, the new tire still has some little rubber **** sticking out, so I'm certain it is a new tire.

Thanks for the idea though.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by geo361
Have you checked your valve stem to see if it's leaking? I had a similar problem some time ago and checked the valve stem with some soapy water. Sure enough it was leaking from inside the stem You can pick up a stem tool at any auto parts store for around $3.
Yep, I checked the valve stem and could find no leaks. Also, as I said, it has been back to the dealer at least 4 times (I've lost actual count) and the dealer has checked it also. In addition, the dealer has replaced the valve stem at least 3 of those 4 times (or perhaps all 4 times).

I can't imagine the dealer going to all this trouble to avoid having to replace a $2 part.

By the way, so far, the dealer has been great about the problem. I haven't been charged a dime! But then again, the problem hasn't been fixed yet either, although the dealer has gone to a lot of trouble and expense in an attempt to do so.

Quick Reply: My Metzeler Rear Tire Won't Hold Air