Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice for wife trying to learn to ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
O-O
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice for wife trying to learn to ride

So It starts like this. My wife wants to ride so she goes gets her permit last year i go get her a 150cc scooter as she has never riden a bike before.she did very well. so she comes home one day and says i am never riding this again people are laughing at me for riding a scooter i say okay you take the safety course and get your license and you can get a bike. that went well got her license and she says okay i want to get a 1200 sporster i say no way start on a junk bike. we get her a suzuki c50 800cc pretty nice bike not to big not to small. rides it for 1 day and when stopping just dropes the bike over did this 3 times in 1 day she says it to high for her and shes on tippy toes so i get lowering kit lower it 2 inches. now its a nice fit legs are bent can touch ground no problem. go for a ride she just stops in the middle of the road says she gets scared people are going to hit her did this several times. go last night out to eat pull into the restaurant and she stops in the middle of the parking lot and the bike tips over i say wtf she says i am tired. so what can i do the bike is getting really banged up has dented muffler, scratched fender, ripped saddle bag, bent floor board, broken mirror , and so on and so on how can i help her learn to ride she will not ride scooter to get practice any advice would be good.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you actually ride a touring bike? This might work better in the general questions area. I feel for you but imho many many people do not have the ability to learn or won't learn to ride properly. You can't wish it for them. I say this because of the dropping bike several times and fear comments she made to you.

There are motorcycle safety federation courses you can get her into locally which is an idea. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
anniv03classic
Tourer

O-O, if that was my wife, game over. That would scare the crap out of me watching my wife continually drop the bike or stop in the middle of the road.

I would not force her to ride. If anything would ever happen to her you would feel bad.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If she really wants to ride and its her idea to ride and she still wants to then find a very big parking lot that is empty. Take her there and let her ride all day and watch her closely and figure out why she is dropping the bike when she stops. Putting feet down wrong putting feet down to late etc.

As for the stopping in the middle of the road she keeps that up she is going to get hit explain that to her. and that she needs to be very aware of her surroundings watch everything and know where everyone is at and that will help keep her from getting hit.

If she doesn't want to ride and this is her way of telling you by what shes doing or she is just that bad on the bike then get her off of it before she does get hurt. Buying a different bike will not solve the problem unless she is doing it purpously to get a harley.

Talk to her find out if its really in her heart to ride or if she has come to find out that it scares the hell out of her and she really doesn't want to do it. Its not for everyone and sometimes people overthink the things that come with riding a bike and it worries them so much that it scares them.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Riders edge, expensive but well worth it. They will even show how anybody (male or female) can pickup a 700 lb bike. .02

Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

You need to stand back! As her husband you are too close to have any meaningful input. Find a motorcycle training centre nearby so a trained person can take her under his/her wing, see what is wrong and put her right. Even better, suggest she finds one (but have one in your back pocket!). If need be find yourself something else to do, so you are out of sight while she is in training!

My sister-in-law started learning to ride a bike, but after a few scrapes too close for comfort decided to give it up. Your wife needs help to either get on top of things or decide to give up herself. But that is probably best done while you are well out of the way!

Give her my best wishes!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my wife to a school parking lot down the road a coupla miles. I put heater hose on my RK's crash bars. Taped the throttle up the first coupla times so she couldn't open it up and freeze and get killed. She dropped it every time she stopped, didn't hurt anything but her feelings. She kept after it and I'd take her down there every day and let her ride. it was hard on an old guy picking that RK up. (52 at the time). She musta dropped it 40 times. Put her in a big lot where there's no pressure on her and let her ride, if she's looking down when she stops she'll fall. if her front wheel is turned when she stops she'll fall, let her get comfortable on the bike in a parking lot, don't put her back out on the street until she's more confident. It's tuff but ya'll can work it out. don't yell at her, she's already beating herself up over these seemingly stupid mistakes but it just takes some people longer to get it, if she really wants to ride , she will. tell her to look where she wants to go, if she' looks down she'll go down. have fun

Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

1st Be glad she isn't riding a $20k bike.

2nd Don't force her and don't start a ride if she is tired or upset. She should be feeling good at the start of every ride.

3rd Take short rides (5 miles) in quiet areas (little or no traffic).

4th During every ride find an empty parking lot and spend 10-15 minutes just cruising around.
Have her start making turns and wandering around the lot as she feels comfortable. Watch her see where she tenses up, give her encouragement and pointers. Find out what tips the class instructers gave her and repeat them.
Challenge her to make figure 8s or U turns within 3 or 4 parking spaces. Practice in the parking lots yourself, have her watch you or follow you.

5th Finish every ride with a reward. Ice Cream and Chocolate will end the session on a high point. Let her talk about how she is feeling.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop her from riding before she kills herself...

Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O-O
So It starts like this. My wife wants to ride so she goes gets her permit last year i go get her a 150cc scooter as she has never riden a bike before.she did very well. so she comes home one day and says i am never riding this again people are laughing at me for riding a scooter i say okay you take the safety course and get your license and you can get a bike. that went well got her license and she says okay i want to get a 1200 sporster i say no way start on a junk bike. we get her a suzuki c50 800cc pretty nice bike not to big not to small. rides it for 1 day and when stopping just dropes the bike over did this 3 times in 1 day she says it to high for her and shes on tippy toes so i get lowering kit lower it 2 inches. now its a nice fit legs are bent can touch ground no problem. go for a ride she just stops in the middle of the road says she gets scared people are going to hit her did this several times. go last night out to eat pull into the restaurant and she stops in the middle of the parking lot and the bike tips over i say wtf she says i am tired. so what can i do the bike is getting really banged up has dented muffler, scratched fender, ripped saddle bag, bent floor board, broken mirror , and so on and so on how can i help her learn to ride she will not ride scooter to get practice any advice would be good.
This is easy for me to say, but I'd say it to my own wife if the situation were the same. Some people are just not made out to ride a bike. If she is scared riding as she states, then it's time to put the bike away and leave it alone. You can't ride scared or something (always bad) will happen.

All that being said, what about a trike? Much more $$$, but easier to ride. The corners can be tricky, but there's no dropping a trike. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Need some advice for wife trying to learn to ride