Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end feels loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
whitrt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end feels loose

I have an 09 EGC and when I shake the handlebars back and forth the front end seems loose. I have searched the forum and only came back with the "wobble". This seems more like something is loose. Has anyone else experienced this? I have it at the dealer now, but when I dropped it off they said it was the tire pressure. I know that could be the problem, I hope they check it out not just the tires. I have around 12000 miles on it now and it didn't feel this way until around 10000 miles. My other question is, would this just be a rubber mount getting broken in and loosened up?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get the bike back, see how it feels. If it still feels loose, you may need to lube and adjust your steering neck bearings. With the bike on the ground, hold the front brake and push forward. you shouldn't feel any movement. If you have a jack, raise the bike off the ground and swing the bars all the way to the left or right stop and let go. They should only swing back and forth one and a half times with all your cables hooked up. Get the service manual if you haven't already. You'll be surprised how much maintenance you can do yourself without having to depend on the dealer.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
whitrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikergeoff
When you get the bike back, see how it feels. If it still feels loose, you may need to lube and adjust your steering neck bearings. With the bike on the ground, hold the front brake and push forward. you shouldn't feel any movement. If you have a jack, raise the bike off the ground and swing the bars all the way to the left or right stop and let go. They should only swing back and forth one and a half times with all your cables hooked up. Get the service manual if you haven't already. You'll be surprised how much maintenance you can do yourself without having to depend on the dealer.
Thanks, I will give that a try. Bike is still under warranty so I thought I would have them look at it. I am just concerned about the safety of it. Might be a neck bearing, low tire pressure, etc. Just don't want the damn thing coming apart going down the highway. This is the first Harley Davidson I have owned, none of the metric bikes I have had ever felt this way, but none had rubber mounts. Don't want to be worried about something that is normal on a Harley Davidson. If it still feels loose I will probably take it to another dealer, just for peace of mind.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is in warranty. Have the dealer fix it. While they have it, call them and have them check fall away. Mine had to be adjusted at about the 8,000 mark.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be the rubber bushings in the handlebars..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your front tire. If it's a D407, it will most likely have severe cupping at that mileage. This can cause high seed vibration, and low speed wobble that almost feels like something's loose.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
whitrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
Check your front tire. If it's a D407, it will most likely have severe cupping at that mileage. This can cause high seed vibration, and low speed wobble that almost feels like something's loose.

Is the best way to check cupping, to just look closely across the tire? If the tire has cupping would that be replacement under warranty? Thanks for the info.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whitrt
Is the best way to check cupping, to just look closely across the tire? If the tire has cupping would that be replacement under warranty? Thanks for the info.
Early model 09's had the D407 tires, which were replaced mid year by the D408. Some have gotten them replace under warranty, others (including myself) have not. If you can get your dealer to go to bat for you with HD customer service you might have a chance.

The best way to see the cupping is to look at it from the side. If the tread looks layered, like a tile roof, then you have the problem.

Attached Thumbnails Front end feels loose-09-tire.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 PM
whitrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
Early model 09's had the D407 tires, which were replaced mid year by the D408. Some have gotten them replace under warranty, others (including myself) have not. If you can get your dealer to go to bat for you with HD customer service you might have a chance.

The best way to see the cupping is to look at it from the side. If the tread looks layered, like a tile roof, then you have the problem.
Just talked to the service manager at my dealer. He said the tire did have pretty bad cupping. They are checking on warranty to replace or pro-rate it. It has 12000 miles on it so not expecting too much. He said this might have something to do with the "loose feeling" on the front end. Thanks for the info.

Tom