Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bafflectomy on my '10 SEUC w/ pics....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Bafflectomy on my '10 SEUC w/ pics....

Quick update on the mods for my FLHTCUSE5: Ground out the welds in the factory baffles and made them removeable. After grinding with a dremel and various shaped grinding stones, I removed the baffles. If it helps others, I did 95% of the grinding while the mufflers were attached to the bike (after removing the tips). Its a somewhat tedious and delicate job but if you go slow, it works quite well. Once I ground the welds about 95%, I dropped the cans off the bike, removed the heat shields and finished the last bit of grinding with an overhead light and holding the cans between my knees.

Then I dropped the cans onto the tip of the baffle against a piece of carpet on concrete. The remaining welds broke, I did a little more cleaning up of the weld remnants and then took a metal rod from the inlet side of the can and hammered the baffles out (alittle wd-40 helps). Once the baffles were out, I cleaned up any weld remains inside the muffler and along the edge of the baffle.

I then drilled a .25" hole in the bottom of the muffler at 1 3/8" from the muffler end centered on the bottom. I then re-inserted the stock baffle back into the muffler. Once the baffle was back inside the muffler, I aligned the edge of baffle with my newly drilled hole. I then drilled with my .25" bit through the new muffler hole and then through the edge of the baffle that touches the wall of the muffler through the new muffler hole I drilled. I started with a punch to give a smaller drill bit a bite and then moved up to the .25" bit using several smaller bits first.

I took a SS .25" x .50" button head allen bolt from the outside and placed a SS lock washer and nut on the inside. It now looks like it came that way from the factory. Now I have removeable baffles.

I have on order a set of 2.25" Fullsac baffles. This is all in prep for the engine work ahead. More info on mods to my '10 SEUC in the weeks ahead

Last little step was activating XM radio...quite nice. Here's a few pics of my new removeable SE Muffler baffles:

Attached Thumbnails Bafflectomy on my '10 SEUC w/ pics....-baffle-nut.jpg   Bafflectomy on my '10 SEUC w/ pics....-baffle-button.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-12-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
armyof1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like this idea. ive thought about it. i have an 07SG and dont mind the exhaust but would like removeable baffles to replace w/ thunders or something. thanks i think i will try this.