Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
jwfrank@twcny.rr.com
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK lowering kit

I'm considering a lowering kit for my new Roadking (standard model). I know this has been debated here before and the solow kits seem to be a hit. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with either the R.U.B. kit or the T.W.R. (T.R.W.???) kit offered on ebay.

All input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior
Default RE: RK lowering kit

I bought the RUB 1.5" kit and including looking for the right tool it took 20 minutes to install. Unfortunately I can't give you a ride impression cuz bike is torn apart at bodyshop.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

Any other handling comments after a lowering kit is installed on a late model FLH?

My '95 FLHT had the White Brothers kit and I'm not sure if it's "loose" cornering was attributed to them or just the chassis.

I've got a new '06 Ultra that I'm interested in lowering in the rear, but I don't want to give up any of it's great handling characteristics.

Comments?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

The kit I have on my 05 RK is R.U.B. There was no difference in the way the bike performed. The reason for the kit was to lower the seat height and retain the travel length in the shocks. I have now got a set of 13" Progressive 440 because I was sick of the jarring by the OM shocks but have not fitted them as yet. The R.U.B. kit is a quality product and easy to install.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

Depending on your budget, I would recommend going with shorter Progressive 440's rather than the lowering kit. The ride with Progressives is great. Just my .02.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Matt, are the Progressive 440's an Airshock or not? Also, is that the brand name (Progressive) meaning a non-HD item? If so, where did you get them and how much did they lower the rear?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

The 440's are NOT air shocks-they use springs. They are adjustable for a softer or firmer ride by hand with no special tools. "Progressive" is the name of the company that manufactures them-so they are NOT HD products. If you search them on this forum there should be a lot of info, most people love them. This is the company site
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/series_440.aspx

Wally's Cycle seems to have the best prices of $388 for them. You can buy them in sizes of 13" down to 11.5". Your RK has standard 13" HD shocks, so 12" 440's would be approximately an inch lower than what you have now. I have the 11.5" 440's on my RK Custom and the ride is just as good if not better than the stock 12" HD low profile shocks I had.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
jwfrank@twcny.rr.com
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. After researching the matter and careful review of ebay "feedback", I ordered the T.W.R. 2 1/2 kit. It should be here shortly and I'd be happy to add comments on my satisfaction if anyone is interested.

One note: I did bring home a Burly kit (White Bros.) but I didn't even have to open the package to realize it would not fit my '06. I took it back and the local shop gave me a hard time about returning it. After they contacted the manufacturer they did take it back because they were told that even though the catalogs state that this kit will fit the '06 RK, it WILL NOT! So, anyone considering one of those.... be careful!

-- Joe

Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
oufan
Novice

Put the 1-1/4" Solow kit on my '03 RK Police, couldn't be happier. Easy to install & no difference in ride.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:27 AM
gunwiz
Intermediate

Sounds like I have a similar problem. Short rider (5'7") tall ride. When I bought my 97 RK, it had a corbin seat that was way to wide, much to high, and absolutley to hard. I replaced it with a HD Stretch seat and life got better, but I still can't get both feet flat on the floor. Just ordered a set of replacement air shocks that should drop another inch. Hopefully, that will do it.

Quick Reply: RK lowering kit