Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering a Street Glide?

I tried to find a old post on this topic but could not find it so here goes. We just picked up a 09 Street Glide for the Wife. She put the reach seat on it to move her ahead just a little and it is narrower than stock so she is close to flat footing the bike which is her goal, she is 5-4. It looks like the progressive lowering kit for the front will lower it 1 or 2 inches. The 1 inch drop will most likely do it for her without doing anything to the rear. Any feed back or anyone recall the old post on this topic.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A 2" drop is too much.
She'll bang her fender.

Look at the Arlen Ness Dampener Rods that lower it 1 1/2"

Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are other seats that will really lower the rider, far more than the one you have.

I have a Mustang on my RG that puts the rider lower than what you'll get lowering that SG, even with the HD seat ~ and I still have full length shocks (+1" on the std SG shocks).

Be VERY careful lowering the back any more than what it is now. The tire will get into the rear harness....

Here's one I just got done fixing:

Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
boom23
Tourer

Try the Progressive lowering springs (1 inch) for the front and go from there. I think your wife will be fine with the springs. Anything lower than that (suspension wise) will affect the riding quality and cornering (i.e. scraping).

If the lowering springs do not do it, I would send the seat to Mean City Cycles to be re-shaped and lowered one more inch, or more if possible.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I just installed the Progressive drop-in lowering kit and drooped the front end 1", along with adding the SE "Heavy Fork" oil. The ride is noticeably improved.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 AM
infanterene
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike came with the front lowered from factory and with short shocks like the SG. I just lowered it an additional 2" in the rear because it had a nose down stance. It rides a little rougher but not bad.

Ill keep an eye on the wiring after seeing that pic.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by infanterene
My bike came with the front lowered from factory and with short shocks like the SG. I just lowered it an additional 2" in the rear because it had a nose down stance. It rides a little rougher but not bad.

Ill keep an eye on the wiring after seeing that pic.
Which touring bike do you own that's lowered in the front from the factory?
I know of none.
The Street Glide is only lowered in the rear.

Look in your parts manual.
All models have the same part numbers for the forks, across the board...from the FLHTCU to the FLHX to the FLTR.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
xmeter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infanterene

You were able to lower your bike 2'' lower than a StreetGlide and it is still rideable? I tried dropping mine an extra inch and could not even do that without bottoming.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Be careful lowering a SG more than factory specs. It will have a negative effect on corning capabilities! Ride Safe!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Stone1
Tourer

I'm ordering the progressive front lowering kit and plan to only lower it 1 inch. We will also take a peek at the Mustang seat as she had one on her Deluxe and really liked it so like some said it may be better than the reach seat. The nice thing about the reach seat is it has not been used to ride the bike yet so the dealer will take it back (no money lost).

Thanks for the response and the rear wiring photos of what not to do!

Quick Reply: Lowering a Street Glide?