Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cure for Passing Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Cure for Passing Lamps

Before and after reading all the posts in here about our passing lamps.
My observations have lead me to design a new safety item that can be used on all passing lamps.

from 1993 to present. The motor company changed our option of running our passing lamps when the hi-beam was on. Though a few of us have altered our wiring to allow us to still run our passing lamps when the hi-beam is enabled.

Other than the fact and unlike our head lights. The passing lamps are a real pain in the butt to adjust.

This in it's self is a dilemma. Whether the crown on our back tires start to wear down or a passenger climbs aboard or we load out our scoots for a trip. All these factors together or alone. Cause our passing lamps to shine higher.

For the riders that have not altered their wiring. And ride with their passing lamps lit by enabling the switch that controls them. Only later on a dark road, turn on their hi-beam. Their passing lamps turn off. When an on coming vehicle flashes us to turn off our hi-beam. When we do, most will forget that the passing lamp switch is still in it's on position. For that on coming vehicle that flashed us about our hi-beam. With our passing lamps coming back on, even though we went down to low beam on the head light, look more to be a response of flashing them back with hi-beams! In return. That vehicle coming at you will most likely respond with full Hi-beams. Leaving us blinded and possibly looking for a tree!

This is a real safety factor that can lead to a disastrous out come.

Most in here know that I'm a sponsor in this forum for our V-Twin Heat Deflectors. So now it's time for a new product. I have taken it upon myself to develop a new safety product for our passing lamps. Soon to be released for sale in a weeks time.

We call them "Bike Shades"

They will fit on any 4 & 1/2" passing lamp, only taking moments to install.

This product is made from a "flawless" mirror polished Stainless Steel.
The inside of the shades have reflective qualities as well. The emitted light from the lamps that come in contact with the bike shade's back side will in fact intensify the ground lighting in front of your ride. Presumably doubling the intensity of the light emitted by the passing lamps. Since the upper half of the lamps is cropped off and of course you do adjust the height of the lamps to a reasonable setting. You will not be blinding on coming traffic or others that ride in front of you.

When the lamps are off. The Stainless Steel covers actually detail your bike's looks. Like the look of more chrome.

Now no matter how much reasonable extra weight you place on the back of your scoot, raising the projection angle of the passing lamps. You won't have to worry about blinding others.

zoood/RJ

Last edited by zoood; 10-07-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: lamp size correction
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
pab
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea RJ. Also, this takes me back to the early to mid-50's. A lot of Ford & Chevy owners added something very similar to their head lights, especially if their car was "customized', which often meant a lowered rear end, plus skirts, continental kit, baby moons, and spot lights. But to your point, lowering the rear end of your bike, as with lowering the rear end of a 50's car, will indeed raise your lights. Once again, great idea.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Hey RJ,

Glad to see you finally going public with these! Been hard to keep my mouth shut ya know

Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

so, how much are they?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

If they have the same quality of the shields he sells they will be top notch I'm sure.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Will CF
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great idea and would fit in with the "Classic" look that I like anyway !! When will they be ready and How Much ??

Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Bushpilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I dont get it. How does this help eliminate going into drivers eyes at night. I have sheilds on mine right now, because they look great on there, but they do not block the light from the opposite driver especially 100-200 yds away. They look like a great product to make the bike look better. i wish these would have been out when i bought my sheilds.

Last edited by Bushpilot; 10-01-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pab
Great idea RJ. Also, this takes me back to the early to mid-50's. A lot of Ford & Chevy owners added something very similar to their head lights, especially if their car was "customized', which often meant a lowered rear end, plus skirts, continental kit, baby moons, and spot lights. But to your point, lowering the rear end of your bike, as with lowering the rear end of a 50's car, will indeed raise your lights. Once again, great idea.
You hit the nail on the head! The Baby Moon Company came out with em way back then. JC Whitney sells em. But only for the Automobile. Theirs is made of steel and chromed. Mine won't rust and the SS I acquired is the best ever. When I say Flawless for SS quality. Im not joking. Theres no mill marks on the SS and compared to any other mirror polished SS on my scoot. This type is perfect. I cannot tell the difference between this and triple plated show chrome.

Im still working out a price. It will be very reasonable. That I assure you. Next week I'll have it up for sale on my site. Monday my machine shop will alert me as to when they'll ship to me for distribution. So it should be the second Monday from now.

Thanks again for your comments, RJ

Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DOT approved?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by krw
DOT approved?
When you go to inspection. They make sure your head light is aimed correctly. Not your passing lamps. If you put em on your head-lite. they're not approved. besides. I did try that. The shield on the head light cuts out too much beam. HI-beam is worthless.

Quick Reply: New Cure for Passing Lamps