Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing CB Radio

I want to install the HD CB Radio Kit part# 76416-06 on my 09 Street Glide. Has anyone done that job and how complicated is it? Does the CB need to be tuned after installation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First, the part no. you provided is for the original CB module HD introduced. The current module is the same part no. with "-06C" suffix indicating that it has been revised three times since the module's original introduction.

I'm just about finished with a CB installation on my bike using the -06C module, overlay harness, and 77108-09 audio and music kit. The virtue of the latter kit, for me, is that I can retain the chrome tank console because the kit provides a headset connection that mounts slightly forward of the seat and includes passenger headset and PTT feature. Check HD's website or page 623 for a picture. Prevously, installing a CB meant changing out the tank console.

Also, I',m using a J&M fairing mounted powered CB antenna rather than an external antenna mounted at the rear of the bike. I'll sacrifice some range, but I don't want the issues associated with mounting my King Tour Pak and dealing with the CB antenna's possible interference.

Print out the instructions for the CB kit and you'll get a good idea of what's involved. If you plan to use an external antenna, check the HD site or catalog for part no. and get the isntructions for that kit as well.

IMO, it's not a difficult project. Remove the outer fairing, and follow the instructions. Depending on your installation, you may have to remove the gas tank (very easy on your '09), and, if you use an external CB antenna, you will need to mount a bracket at the rear and run the antenna cable to the front of the bike per the kit's instructions. The left handlebar switches and housings are swapped out to accommodate the PTT/SQ switch, and a speaker switch is added to the fairing cap switches.

As for "tuning," it's a good idea to have a competent CB person use an SWR meter to confirm the antenna is properly tuned. The CB module itself is not tuned.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-21-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Recon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i have put one on my 08, You will really enjoy it. Kit comes ready to go pretuned etc. i got my parts thru chicago HD at a discount. The new syle console is the same length as stock and is pretty slick. (pic on hd website is old style) We just got back from Moab utah from houston tx. had a ball with he cb. my brother also has the o9 sg and put the Hd cb in too. Be sure to get the new boom headset they sound great for tunes. PM me for any advice.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the radio has to be "flashed" for it to "see" the newly added features.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, ordered the parts and will post when I am finished.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The J&M FLEXPOWER in-fairing CB antenna comes pre-tuned and no SWR ajustment is necessary ,,,, transmit/receive performance with the J&M in-fairing CB antenna will be about 80% of what a properly tuned rear mounted CB antenna will do ,,,,

complete details on the Harley Classics page at www.jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

great info...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
The J&M FLEXPOWER in-fairing CB antenna comes pre-tuned and no SWR ajustment is necessary ,,,, transmit/receive performance with the J&M in-fairing CB antenna will be about 80% of what a properly tuned rear mounted CB antenna will do ,,,,

complete details on the Harley Classics page at www.jmcorp.com ,,,,,
John, I'll provide a user's report this week-end. Just installed your Flexpower CB in-fairing antenna on Tuesday this week.

Carl

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
I think the radio has to be "flashed" for it to "see" the newly added features.
I put the CB kit in my 09 FLHX about three weeks ago and the CB worked without needing to flash the radio.

To the OP, just take your time with the install. The two tricky parts (from my experience) has to do with the console switch wiring and making sure you don't forget to connect the plug labled interconnect on that big ol harness you have to add. Mine has cruise and passing lamps and you need to make sure you get the correct wire when you splice the switch in. You will need the service manual as the switch install references information in it.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the new Boom! Audio and Music Intercom Kit - Part No. 77108-09 will work with 76236-06 (not 76416-06C)?

Quick Reply: Installing CB Radio