Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Sirius radios

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgretz
Maybe I am not reading things right. The FMDA25 FM driect adapter I thought was suppose to allow you to use your bikes regular antenna and thus not have to use the dot antenna. Directions that came with the FMDA25 shows you unplug the bike antenna from the radio and plug it into the female antenna receptacle on the FM direct and plug the male connector from FM direct into the radio and then plug the last adapter plug from FM direct in the the FM out jack on the sirius unit. Then tune the HK and sirius unit to the same FM frequency. It mentions nothing about hooking up an antenna to the antenna jack of the sirius unit (as thought that was the purpose of the FMDA25 unit to begin with, to eliminate the need for the extra antenna).
That doesn't replace the antenna needed to get the signal to the satellite radio. What it does is interrupt the regular FM signal coming from your radio mast antenna and feed the signal directly from your Starmate into your bikes radio.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dgretz
Maybe I am not reading things right. The FMDA25 FM driect adapter I thought was suppose to allow you to use your bikes regular antenna and thus not have to use the dot antenna. Directions that came with the FMDA25 shows you unplug the bike antenna from the radio and plug it into the female antenna receptacle on the FM direct and plug the male connector from FM direct into the radio and then plug the last adapter plug from FM direct in the the FM out jack on the sirius unit. Then tune the HK and sirius unit to the same FM frequency. It mentions nothing about hooking up an antenna to the antenna jack of the sirius unit (as thought that was the purpose of the FMDA25 unit to begin with, to eliminate the need for the extra antenna).
The FM Direct Adapter is "not" a replacement for the sat receiver antenna. It's just another option for getting the sat receivers output into your vehicles (car or motorcycle) audio system. There are two ways to get the sat receivers signal "in" to the HK radio. First is the audio port that plugs into the aux input on the car/bikes radio system. I use this method in my car and is, IMO, the best way to do it. Second, is the FM port on the sat receivers cradle. Normally, there's a small antenna plugged into that and the set transmits a low power FM signal that the HK radio can receive. It works as long as you can find a local FM frequency that's not being used. The FM Direct Adapter simply plugs into that FM port and hard wires the FM signal directly to th HK radio. What I like about that is you don't have to worry about finding an unused frequency so it works very well.

Having said all that, you still need the antenna that came with the sat radio!!! Without that, you're not receiving the signal from the satellites. The bikes antenna is not compatible and besides, you're plugging the FM Direct Adapter to the FM "out" port! So, plug the sat receivers antenna in and watch it work.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM
jimd3246
Cruiser

Attached Thumbnails Portable Sirius radios-p1030035.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I have my original Starmate inside the Tour-Pak. It's attached to a Mix-It board which is wired to the aux plug-in in the oem radio. My GPS is also connected to the Mix-It and the board allows the signal strength boost plus prioritizes the GPS when it needs to. Requires running a couple wires under the tank console. Everything is neatly velcroed to the Tour- Pak wall. Just can't change the station on the Sirius while riding. Shredsurf has a nice spot on the bars to mount the head unit. Batwing makes it a bit more complicated. I am pleased with my set-up and I can easily remove the Starmate to take it into work or my house.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Jtt454
Advanced

Here mine mounted

Attached Thumbnails Portable Sirius radios-img_0141-1-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to have mine mounted to the windshield with a suction cup mount. Mounted the magnetic antenna to top of radio in the fairing, connected power to cig lighter tabs in the fairing. Connected output wire to radio input. It worked great.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Im using my Iphone with the Sirius App works well 95% of the time. I use a docking port cable that plugs into the bottom of the phone and charges and splits to a AUX cable that i plug into the radio only downside is if you are in a non cell area , no phone signal-no radio so i change to ITunes and keep riding.

On the RG im using the Iron Aces Mount and can also use the mount for data loging with my Power Vision.

Attached Thumbnails Portable Sirius radios-iron-ace-bracket.jpg   Portable Sirius radios-iron-ace-completed.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
shaw725
Novice

Go to TSS Electronics online and purchase the kit that mounts
To your handle bars on the clutch side. The antenna and all needed
hardware are included. It rides good there and the kit even comes with
a rain cover. You can try to come up with some other style mount but
Your just wasting time. I tried the suction cup to the wind shield and with
vibration, I was afraid it would come off and hit my tank!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
drex
Intermediate

So I just forked out over $30k for a brand spankin new Electra UL and I'm gonna MacGyver it? I don't think so. Gotta be a good sterio with Sirius available that will replaice the stock one.

All of those hookups look great for saving a few bucks, but really?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drex
So I just forked out over $30k for a brand spankin new Electra UL and I'm gonna MacGyver it? I don't think so. Gotta be a good sterio with Sirius available that will replaice the stock one.

All of those hookups look great for saving a few bucks, but really?
I guess that depends on how you define "MacGyver'ing" it. I bought the install kit from TSS. The handlebar mount, while obviously not factory, is well made and, IMO, doesn't look bad at all. There's only two wires involved, the one that powers the Sirius radio and the FM Direct Adapter wiring and those are run right down the factory wiring that's already on the handlebars and into the fairing. They're not even noticable unless you look for them. OTOH, I've seen aftermarket radios installed in Electra Glide models. While they don't necessarily look bad, it's obvious they're aftermarket and, to me, look just as MacGyver'd as the TSS install kit might to others. To each their own.

Out of curiosity, is there some kind of adapter that will allow you to maintain the handlebar radio controls? That's one of the main things that would keep me from considering an aftermarket radio head but it's not something I've looked into because I'm not unhappy with the factory HK radio. Just wondering!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: Portable Sirius radios