Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Sirius radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
DanLPN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Portable Sirius radios

I am looking to attach a portable Sirius radio to my bike and would like to know if anyone has done this. What brand did you go with, what kind of mount and what did you do to protect it in the event of rain.
I have a Gramin GPS that works great, so I am not considering the Zumo 550. Would be a waste of money. So would the $400 plus to have it installed in my bike. With a portable I can us it in my other vehicles.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sirius Sportster 5 mounted on the throttle side handlebar and a 550 Zumo on the left.I use the Sirius in 3 vehicles.The Sportster 5 cost me about $90.00 thru Sirius.
I've had it for 2 years,24k mi. with no problems.As far as mounts I've been real happy with these, [url]http://www.leadermotorcycle.com,They're a nice clean looking mount.As far as rain,no problem with light moisture,If it's heavy rain I use a small freezer bag over it,know it sounds korny but works great.The 1 thing I do wih any electronic gizmo is use di-electric grease in all the holes.I've seen a couple places on line that make covers for sat. recievers,but haven't seen any I really like.

Last edited by D2R; 11-04-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Default Sirius STARMATE velcro mounted

Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by shredsurf
I also had it shrink wrapped to waterproof it. It's hard wired & plugged into the aux outlet of the HK radio. The sirius antenna is mounted under the fairing and works with no problems.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
DanLPN
Advanced

Shredsurf, thanks for the info. What brand is your radio and did you shrink wrap your radio or did you have it done? If you had it done where did you go to get it done. This is some good information, I never would have thought of shrink wrapping, or in another post to use di-electric grease on the connectors.
Dan

Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by DanLPN
Shredsurf, thanks for the info. What brand is your radio and did you shrink wrap your radio or did you have it done? If you had it done where did you go to get it done. This is some good information, I never would have thought of shrink wrapping, or in another post to use di-electric grease on the connectors.
Dan
Radio? The radio is a stock Harley radio with a Hogtune's amp installed. The Sirius receiver is an OLD STARMATE I used to use in my car before I bought a car with built in Sirius.

It was recently shrink wrapped at the car audio place where I had my speaker upgrades installed.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of our site sponcers Haulen *** sells a great radio mount for the Sirus radio's

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by clap
One of our site sponcers Haulen *** sells a great radio mount for the Sirus radio's
So does any hardware store....VELCRO!!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 PM
09flhtc
Banned

I did it I take a pic and post it tomorrow. (having warranty work again!)

Last edited by 09flhtc; 11-04-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Stratus "Dock N Play" Radio on my driver side. I use the Docking Station so I can take the radio to my car, in my garage, or in the house.

I had purchased the Satellite set up from RaCad for my Ultra and had the same radio on it. It got totaled and I needed a mount for my replacement Road Glide. I didn't want to spend over $200 for the same set up. So, I took a CB Microphone mount I had in my junk box. Drilled holes for the new Docking Station and mounted it on the Throttle side. I went inside the Fairing, taped into the Cigarette Lighter for the power. I took the FM Direct Adapter in the antenna and saved a lot of money. I feel it is better to mount on the handlebar instead of the center or on the Fairing because I can change channels with out taking my hands off the grips.

I love the sound and don't hardly ever listen to Terrestrial Radio.

Quick Reply: Portable Sirius radios