Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size air compressor/tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size air compressor/tank?

I just retired and expect to do a lot of touring, now that we've moved back to the States.

I'd like to be doing more of my own maintenance, and lots of touring will mean lots of tire changes.

As I'm outfitting my garage, what size air compressor/reservoir would be needed to deliver the oomph necessary to seat the beads on a tire? I won't be running any air tools, so this is really just about changing the tires.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the craftsman version of this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ir+Compressors. But I bought it because I'm a carpenter and needed something that would keep up with me when I was framing, but if you just want something to change tires with you can probably get by with a "pancake" like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ir+Compressors and be fine with it. I always buy a little bit bigger whatever I need just to allow for future "growth". Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I agree with Jeff. You don't need a big one for for what you describe, but might need a little bigger than a pancake. Pancakes aren't good for much more than nail guns cause the tanks are so small. I would do at least a 20 gallon tank. Personally I also prefer the oil lubricated compressors over the diaphragm versions.

If you think you are ever going to run air tools I would go bigger.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got one of the upright vertical tanked Sears Craftsman 26 gal. compressors. It can barely keep up with any of my air tools. And its "Always" cutting on and running for ever to keep 90 PSI up in the tank. Not to mention that its so freaking loud it needs to be out in a cave in the back 40 to keep from just driving you in sane with its own racket. I H8 it.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...6770000P?mv=rr

I've just replaced it with an a much older unit a 1 H.P. Champion Model "K" two stage pistion model, 40 Gallon tank, with very low mileage. Even though this unit is 30's to 40's vintage I can work around and listen to all day.

Forget a new noisy model, stick with oil iron, its quiet, and built to out last anything and sometimes you can get a real deal on them.

Attached Thumbnails What size air compressor/tank?-img_0099.jpg  
Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to look at the CFM output of the compressor and compare it to the CFM requirements of the tools you want to run.....I agree you want at least 20 gallons. I would also skip on cheaper oil-free compressors. They are usually more noisy and have a shorter lift. Look for a good cast iron pump.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
testifer
Road Master

u want something that will run like 9 to 12 cfm any like 100 psi, you will be able to run anything

Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a lowes 135 psi I got for I think $120.00 does about anything you'll need most air tools don't require over 90 psi I'm pretty sure.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that a little pancake will provide enough volume from the reservoir to seat the bead on a rim. I don't imagine ever buying any air tools since any wrenching I do is purely amateur, so I'm less worried about flow rate and keeping up with multiple tools than I am about having enough "pop" to get a tire back on.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

If that's the case I'm sure a pancake will suit your purpose just fine.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your biggest restriction will be the air line itself. To long will waste pressure. to small diameter will not supply volume you need. There is a big difference tween 1/4 inch hose and 3/8.

Quick Reply: What size air compressor/tank?