Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M LED Speaker Light Ring Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
itimmers
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J&M LED Speaker Light Ring Review

My review of the J&M LED Speaker Rings

Before starting this article off, I first would like to thank John Lazzeroni at J&M Corporation for this opportunity to review his new product, LED Light Rings for J&M Fairing Speakers 1998-2010 Harley Street Glide / Ultra / Road Glide part #LRHD-FS50

I’m just like any Harley owner… always looking for the latest and greatest in upgrades. After reading so many positive reviews on J&M’s 7.25” speaker upgrades, I just knew these were going on my 08’ Street Glide without question. Just prior to ordering my new speakers, John over at J&M chose me to review his new product, the 7.25” LED speaker rings.

Within 1 week, I had both my speakers and the LED light rings in-hand, ready to install. After following the directions step-by-step, the total install took approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours. Now keep in mind the fact that I was installing both the speakers and the LED light rings at the same time. If you have already installed the 7.25” speakers, this process will take less time for you since you’ve already been in the fairing and know what your up against. Patience is highly recommended while your doing this, because you could break off the mounts on the inner fairing if you force the speaker screws. Just take your time and use the right size tools, the screws will be tight to keep them from loosening.

Each light ring is built out of a circular pc board that is sandwiched between the speaker grille and the speaker adapter. It is a little tricky to align all the parts up so you can fasten them to the fairing. I did find the 2 power wires that attach to the LED rings need to be massaged into place for them to lay flat before you install everything into the fairing. The black sealant that attaches the 2 wires to the board… it bulks up the surface area, keeping the LED ring from sitting flush between the adapter and the grill.

Everything is plug-n-play (no cutting or splicing necessary), but I did run into a slight problem. Both LED rings hook up to 1 power source, the back of your cigarette lighter/accessory plug. J&M provides jumpers for the ease of install. Both of my jumpers (the crimps) came apart, requiring me to repair both connections before completion.

After you install these LED rings, you have to choose your lighting colors using the dip switches mounted on each ring before you put the outer fairing back on. I recommend this step takes place in the garage, with the door down and the lights off. You can get the colors a lot closer in complete darkness to match your gauges or radio. I decided to match the LED rings with the lighting on the radio display instead of matching the factory gauges. This opens a whole new problem… now I HAVE TO replace my gauges to match the speaker rings! Oh well….. Time to buy more goodies. HAHA!

My overall experience with J&M’s LED Light Rings was favorable. Since the install, I have received several complements on the new look these lights offer. Now I realize it’s time to upgrade my gauges to change the whole look of my dash. I did run into a couple speed bumps during the install… but hey, it happens.

Attached Thumbnails J&M LED Speaker Light Ring Review-lrhd-fs50-l.jpg  

Last edited by itimmers; 01-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Bagger Bleu
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's the pix? Sounds like there pretty cool but what do they look like? Curious minds want to know.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM
jmehal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a cruel joke, yes? You posted a review on some cool lights without posting any pics of them. Seriously...dude, I think that's illegal in most states.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF!!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeow, these things are expensive! $250 bucks just for the two LED rings...

Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll throw in the same comment:

Old 01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
itimmers
Road Captain

BUMP! PICS ARE UP! I couldn't get my camera to take a good pic in the dark.... this is straight off the J&M Corp web site.

BTW.... The price is MSRP. Contact Shawn at Dr. V-Twin for his price to the HD Forums members...

Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Taylorized
Road Master

Originally Posted by itimmers
BUMP! PICS ARE UP! I couldn't get my camera to take a good pic in the dark.... this is straight off the J&M Corp web site.

BTW.... The price is MSRP. Contact Shawn at Dr. V-Twin for his price to the HD Forums members...
Need your pictures

Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
itimmers
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by Taylorized
Need your pictures

I'll try and take some pics again tonight... no guarantees if they come out or not. They do look great, had several people comment on them.

Quick Reply: J&M LED Speaker Light Ring Review