Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G

This is posted just for fun ... but it is based on my recent efforts to compare the three models ... hope it helps others.

If I could do it all over again I would learn more about being a mechanic. In fact, if I really had it all over to do again I would become a motorcycle journalist. So I will indulge my secret dream by writing my comparison about bikes I recently had a chance to compare.

Why these three bikes? Simple. I like them all.

Until a few months ago I owned and rode an '09 Harley-Davidson Ultra. It was beautiful, with Red Hot Sunglo paint and a luggage rack on the Tour Pak. I put almost 10,000 miles on it before abandoning it when I thought I was going to die. But in the end, I kicked the hell out of my disease (at least for this week), and now I'm ready to go back riding. So the journey to buy a new bike has begun, once again. This time I am determined to buy the best made and best riding bike on the planet. Before I can achieve that goal, I hope to test ride a number of bikes to help me decided.

The firsrt of the faithful three to try my muster will be the Honda Gold Wing at the entry level. This bike had the quientessential 1832cc, 6-cylinder motor that is notoriously similar to the race cars we hear in Europe. Talk about pure power and speed, these bikes have plenty of both. The 9.8:1 compression ration provides evidence of a well tuned motor as it fires up easily and builds to top power just as quickly.

The GW engine knocks out 118 horsepower at 125 ft/lbs of Torque. These numbers knock the socks off the HD and give the Victory a run for the money. The stock GW produces a -060 time in the 4.13 range with 100mph around 11.5 seconds. The quarter mile run will hit around 12.4 and 109mph. Not bad for a full size touring bike.

I originally picked up an '05 Navigation system when I flew into western Pennsylvania I landed at Pittsburgh airport before being whisked off by a wild eyed limo-driver and hauled to a small hotel on the Penn/West Virginia border. Sounds of picking banjos kept resounding in my ear alnight, but by the next morning I was waiting and ready for a quick trip to the local Honda dealer where I would pick up my sturdy stead.

The bike I ordered was ready and waiting when I arrived. The employees of Honda Direct's Ohio store were quick to offer assistance. I had them add Kuraykn backrest and Kury highway pegs. Both additions were well worth it, and the bike because much more refined by having more room/comfort for the long trip.

The bike was a beautiful dark red (Cherry Red, I believe) and the liberal addition of chorme and polished alumimum made the bike stand out from the crowd. I loaded my backback, tent, and verious other gear with plenty of room to spare and headed slight south by southeast into West Virginia.

The front windshield must be move manually, something I missed when I got to the Victory Vision. The vision has a slightly smaller motor, and uses the V-Twin configuration. I first rode a Vision in early 2008, and by 2000 had decided I would need to spend some real seat time with the bike. A quick rental put me on board for a trip to the Death Valley in late Spring.

The first thing I noticed about the Vision was the length. The distance from seat to windshield seems so far, especially when compared to the HD Ultra and Gold Wing. And if the windshield wasn't bad enough, the front wheel must have been 19 feet in front of the rider's position. That's at least what it seemed for my first 5 minutes in the saddle.

The reality is the Vision is not that much longer than the other bikes. The new Vision stretches out to just 104.9 in while the Ultra Classic comes in at just over 98 inches. The extra 6 inches can make a difference, but in the long run it is not so much as it first appears.

Weight is a bit different with the Vision coming in at just 852 lbs while the Ultra carries only 5 pounds more (in 6 less inches). The Honda Gold Wing, on the other hand, comes in at a whopping 895 pounds of dry weight. Not sure what Honda is smuggling in those bags to account for an extra 43 pounds over the Vision.

Of course, horsepower is an always important element when measuring such grand touring bikes. The Vision kicks up to 108 horses in the V-Twin configuration and gives up some gas mileage in exchange. While the HD gets up to 57mpg the Vision only cranks out 52 mph under the same conditions.

Never fear, Honda tops the 3 bikes in horsepower by claiming a rather impressive 118 horses for the 6-cylinder engine. The cost, though, is a slightly anemic gas mileage claim of just 37 miles per gallon, and as low as 24 in town. Egads, but the overall style and convenience might make up for it.

Now for the last of it all ... Price.

HD leads the way by cutting less off their price than any other brand. Loyalty by customers and overall appeal help keep HD Ultra within 5% of the original MSRP. The 2010 Ultra has a starting price for a Black Beast at $20,999 and a two-tone model will set you back around $21,999. Of course, you'll need to add for security ($345), chrome wheel option ($450) and ABS ($845) before adding in the price of setup and delivery.

There are still dealers who are charging $1000 to $1500 over the MSRP as well. And when not getting more than MSRP, the dealers are adding in outrageious amounts for "Doc Fee" ($299) and "Dealer Prep" ($895) at many places around the country. That brings a nice, two-tone Ultra Classic to a price north of $25,000, assuming you add the extra chrome and goodies.

Honda probably has the biggest drop in price over MSRP. A quick survey shows that a nicely done 2010 Gold Wing (with Audio/Comfort system) can be had for $19,225, with no additional charge except your local tax. That puts you out the door for less than $20,500. Not a bad price!

You can step up the Navigation equipped system, which also has an XM radio system included, and spend around $22,400 for a 2010 model. Add in the ABS and the price goes up, as it will for the airbag model. The ultimate in motorcycle safety, the GW airbag model will set you back as much as a new Ultra Classic with a price hovering near $24,000.

Likewise, some Victory dealers seem to be willing to cut as much as $3000 off the MSRP, but you have to catch them at the right time of the month. Recently, while on a trip to southern California, I saw a 2010 Victory Vision Tour Premium with a MSRP of $23,199 (solid white) and a "sales price" of $19,899.

You can get a bit better deal by purchasing a "leftover" '09 model from either Victory or Honda. The HDs doe get a bit of a price break for an '09 as well, but it's about half what you'll see for the Honda/Victory selections. A good shopper, with time to make lots of comparisons, can find a brand new '09 Goldwing with an Out the Door (all but taxes) price of less than $19k ... and if you're really good you might find something in the upper $17k range.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 AM
TigerladysHim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've missed your calling.
A good comparison.
But I have to ask
Which one snarls and grumbles its way down the road
and just makes you feel
"King of the Road"?
I know, I know, please ask me!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, how about adding the important stuff like handling, ride, feel etc. For some folks, it's not about price.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

,,,,,,,,,,,and the ugliest big touring motorcycle is????????? Also dont leave out the important info such as recalls, dealer network, and aftermarket support.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha ha ha. I like how you focused on a good price. That's obviously the most important thing - to everybody. Not.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While the GW may have some eye appeal, the VV is butt ugly. What other bike on this planet has a 2" thick book with accsesories you can add. HUH!!!!

I'll stick with my HD thank you.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you expect to pass as a motojournalist if you don't include the mandatory boilerplate criticism of brakes, suspension, and cornering ability? Rider magazine would yank your press card in a heartbeat!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Age old argument. People buy things for many different reasons. Each bike has its place and for many different reasons. Many people buy a harley because it is american made or is that assembled. Then they can go place their HD sticker on their Toyota pickup or Honda accord. Go figure. I bought it because I like it - nuff said.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 AM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spur56, One thing that most overlook is that the GW is made in America as well, I am not sure about where the Victory is built. Of course I went through a similar review of the 3 bikes when I was buying last year. I ruled out the Victory, as Glide2005 said, it is butt ugly. Actually, that is degrading to butts, because I like butts much better than the Victory. Between the GW and the HD, it came down to ride and feel, something that is impossible to write about (feel) since it is different for everyone. It is obvious that I went with the HD, being here. The GW was a very smooth ride, with abundant power. The FLHTCU had a smooth ride with less power, but sufficient for me. Both bikes actually provided me what I was looking for, on my first "couch". Cost was important to me, but I found that both bikes, on the used market, were very similarly priced. I have never really been one for buying brand new, takes the dealer out of the equation for the most part. I felt that I wanted something that I could turn wrenches on and do my own basic maintenance. The open view into the engine was attractive for the HD on that. The GW just seems to be a bigger challenge to get to the basics, like spark plugs.

Fortune struck for me when I found the bike I purchased. The odd color (Olive Pearl) was not everyone's cup of tea, so it sat for a while with people buying bikes all around it. Personally, I like the color, although there are others I like more. I got a very good deal on the bike, but I could have tripped over a GW with a similar deal and ended up on one of them. I am very happy with what I am riding, but it took several miles on it before I was completely comfortable that I had made the right decision.

I am sure I will get flamed a bit for considering something other than HD, but for me it is about that I AM riding.

I am not sure that is useful to anyone, but it was a way for me to spend $0.02.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Funny, I ride through Western PA/West Virginia all the time and have never heard a banjo.

You must have a pretty mouth.

Quick Reply: A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G